• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

30.5.2011 - Mahler

"There are so many versions of Gustav Mahler that you can pick your own: the ultimate visionary who slipped mysteriously into obscurity for almost a century, the conducting genius recreated in a Ken Russell film, or perhaps the mystical figure re-imagined in the works of jazz musicians and electronic composers. And then there's one of the most fascinating Mahlers of them all: the one portrayed by his wife Alma in a famously controversial yet compelling biography.

This week Donald Macleod explores this alluring source, and with it the last decade of the composer's life - the 'Alma' years. "
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Roehre

A repeat again, methinks.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      A repeat again, methinks.
      Is it? It's not marked as a repeat either on the schedule or at the bottom of the programme notes. My assumption was that 'the Alma years' were different from the previous Mahler CotW - but my assumption could be wrong ... Will investigate.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

This was last year's CotW:

"In the beginning, before the anguish, the failing health, before even meeting his beloved Alma, Gustav Mahler had been happy - in his way...

In this week's Composer Of The Week, Donald Macleod explores Mahler's early years - from his humble birth in the Bohemian backwater of Kaliste to his triumphant installation as Director of the Vienna Opera at the age of 37."

Could there be some kind of ... anniversary ... involved last year and this ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

I listened to this morning's prog. I think it's a new series. It will, I think, be very interesting, but I would prefer to have less music in this particular topic. It's difficult to play small bits of Mahler - a single movement from a symphony will take up almost half the programme, & I'm sure there's a huge amount to be said about Gustave & Alma's relationship.

I'll just have to go & read a book

Comment

• StephenO

This is proving to be one of the very best CotWs (CsotW?).

I remember reading Alma Mahler's diaries many years ago. Despite being somewhat economical with the truth in places they're a fascinating insight into her realtionship with Gustav, Mahler's music and character, his relationship with, amongst others, Strauss and Freud, and Viennese musical life at the turn of the last century.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Completely agree, StephenO. Only sorry to have missed yesterday's programme, dealing with the Kindertotenlieder period. Anc certgainly time to revisit the Thousand - a work I've found hard going with all that positivity in the past, but which presented itself in its true light in the stonking performance put on of the first movement this morning.

S-A

Comment

Working...
              X