• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Prokofiev II 7 - 11 October

Loved the second episode of this week's programmes, with various arrangements of sections from Romeo & Juliet...

Christian Lindberg playing The Young Juliet as a trombone solo was phenomenal! Enjoyed the marimba arrangement too...
    Last edited by ardcarp; 07-10-19, 23:44.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Thanks for the pointer. I normally would run a mile at another broadcast of Romeo & Juliet - but thanks to the wonders of Bluetooth and an Arcam Mini Blink I am now enjoying these somewhat quirky arrangements in sumptuous R3 HD sound. I particularly liked the attack of the cello quartet in the ubiquitous DOTK.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The music for "Alexander Nevsky" still must be the greatest ever film music, surely?

Prokofiev is one of those strange figures whose character seemed so out of kilter with his music it leaves one wondering...
      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 22-12-16, 15:04. Reason: Too many surelys, surely?

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Loved the second episode of this week's programmes, with various arrangements of sections from Romeo & Juliet...

Christian Lindberg playing The Young Juliet as a trombone solo was phenomenal! Enjoyed the marimba arrangement too...
        Very suitable Cali! Much to catch up on at the moment, so I hope to with these programmes.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

COTW: Sergei Prokofiev (1891-1953) - 7-11 October

The last series of 2016 concentrated on the return to Russia years; this one deals with the years of exile following the Bolshevik revolution: arguably Prokofiev's most freely creative and off-the-leash, when he produced his best or at least most enduring works, starting this morning with the last movement of the First Violin Concerto of 1917 - one of my favourite violin concertos.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            The last series of 2016 concentrated on the return to Russia years; this one deals with the years of exile following the Bolshevik revolution: arguably Prokofiev's most freely creative and off-the-leash, when he produced his best or at least most enduring works, starting this morning with the last movement of the First Violin Concerto of 1917 - one of my favourite violin concertos.
            (Or should I have started a brand new thread?)

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

This one's fine for me if you want to edit the date in the thread title. Or start a new one if you think it best. Very much enjoyed today's edition. I'm heavily Pro Prokofiev. I too love the violin concerto. (I think it pre-dates Stavinsky's (also in D) by quite a margin...and I love that one too.) And the Classical Symphony...just a classic. I think Donald mentions how precise and careful orchestral players have to be to bring it off. Yes indeed.
              Last edited by ardcarp; 07-10-19, 23:46.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                This one's fine for me if you want to edit the date in the thread title. Or start a new one if you think it best. Very much enjoyed today's edition. I'm heavily Pro Prokofiev. I too love the violin concerto. (I think it pre-dates Stavinsky's (also in D) by quite a margin...and I love that one too.) And the Classical Symphony...just a classic. I think Donald mention how precise and careful orchestral players have to be to bring it off. Yes indeed.
                Probably better to amend the dates to the original thread than start a new one, if you would be so kind, ardy.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

OK. Hope that's not confusing anyone!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I hope everyone listening is enjoying this week's series on Prokofiev as much as me. I get the impression that the researching for COTW has greatly improved is the past year or two, and we are now left with a much better impression of what things must have been like for the composer concerned. The one drawback for me however remains the fast forwarding and reversing that takes place, leaving one not knowing where one is in the chronology, which would be far better told in sequence, as it would make sense of why such and such an occasion or decision had had negative consequences (say), when we have already learned through the order of presentation that matters would be resolved at a later stage. In addition we would get examples showing in what way a composer's music evolved.

It was interesting to learn today that Prokofiev was a keen jazz fan, owner of over 100 jazz records - a lot for anyone in the 1920s, even given that these would have been 78s - although one had to assume the 1920s were being talked about - and that he considered some jazz as great as serious music. I am always reminded of a remark of Keith Tippett's when being asked if he also performed "serious music": "This does annoy me, as I consider all the music I perform to be serious".

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      I hope everyone listening is enjoying this week's series on Prokofiev as much as me. I get the impression that the researching for COTW has greatly improved is the past year or two, and we are now left with a much better impression of what things must have been like for the composer concerned. The one drawback for me however remains the fast forwarding and reversing that takes place, leaving one not knowing where one is in the chronology, which would be far better told in sequence, as it would make sense of why such and such an occasion or decision had had negative consequences (say), when we have already learned through the order of presentation that matters would be resolved at a later stage. In addition we would get examples showing in what way a composer's music evolved.

It was interesting to learn today that Prokofiev was a keen jazz fan, owner of over 100 jazz records - a lot for anyone in the 1920s, even given that these would have been 78s - although one had to assume the 1920s were being talked about - and that he considered some jazz as great as serious music. I am always reminded of a remark of Keith Tippett's when being asked if he also performed "serious music": "This does annoy me, as I consider all the music I perform to be serious".
                      I didn't know that Vernon Duke was originally Russian! I think it's been a very good CoTW.

Comment

Working...
                      X