• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Chabrier

I don't know if there's a thread somewhere else, but I just want to say how much I'm enjoying this week's CotW, even if it is a repeat [?]
    Especially lovely were the Cinq Pieces Posthumes, played eloquently by that most sensitive of pianists, Allan Schiller on Monday. I always sit up and listen when there's some Chabrier around, and I wonder why he is not more often played in the concert hall.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I don't know if there's a thread somewhere else, but I just want to say how much I'm enjoying this week's CotW, even if it is a repeat [?]
    Especially lovely were the Cinq Pieces Posthumes, played eloquently by that most sensitive of pianists, Allan Schiller on Monday. I always sit up and listen when there's some Chabrier around, and I wonder why he is not more often played in the concert hall.

Yes, I've caught two days. I must listen to more French music beyond Ravel, Debussy and Satie.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Yes it's a repeat* and no, mysteriously there is no previous thread about it.

I got a lot out of the programmes first time round, and listened to the podcast a couple of times in the car as I find his story fascinating. I loved the Ode to Music (I think it's in today's programme) which I downloaded complete as a result of the programme, likewise this splendid album

which features heavily in the programmes, and also gets a lot of in-car playing.

* The series was first broadcast 29 December 2014 - 2 January 2015. Hence there were only 4 programmes, as there wasn't a COTW on New Year's Day. And in the current schedule, the programmes are listed as they were at the start of the year, as 1/4, 2/4 etc.

But intriguingly (to me!), this time round, there is a fifth programme tomorrow, covering Chabrier's final years. I think this was included in the January 2015 podcast, but I can't quite remember, so am going to check when the new podcast appears.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Chabrier has not been a composer I've taken much notice of up to now but having heard this week's CotW I think that will need to change. The sheer exuberance of several of the pieces played was a good antidote to dreary weather.

Comment

Working...
        X