X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Margaret Bonds (1913-1972) : COTW 21-25/10/24

Anyone interested in the discussion about the merits of Dorothy Howell's music might also be interested by Radio 3's choice of next week's composer, described by their website as 'one of the most important composers and pianists of her time.'

As I'd never heard of her. let alone any of her music, I'll be interested to see how well-deserved this high ranking is. Perhaps, for reasons of space, two adjectives were deleted, which might have referred to what the BBC would call her 'heritage' and 'gender'. As it stands,this puts her on a level with Britten and Shostakovitch, let alone Stravinsky and Schoenberg, who were active as composers during part of 'her time' and with Rubinstein, Horowitz amd Richter as a pianist. Has Donald gone over the top this time? Stay tuned to find out.
    Last edited by smittims; 15-10-24, 07:11. Reason: correction
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

She first had a Wiki entry in 2006. But it really just depends whether one ranks 'entertainment' over 'education'. If you'd never heard of her, you can find out more by listening.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kindofblue
      • Nov 2015

I shall listen with interest.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Thanks for the advance notice, smittims. A name completely new to me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

From running through each day's write-up, most of her output appears to be miniatures, largely songs, and some religious music, so she would have to be really non-pareil in those areas to be evaluated in Mollensonian terms. She did set Langston Hughes, mind - as did Zemlinsky - but I'm really pushing my luck there!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            From running through each day's write-up, most of her output appears to be miniatures, largely songs, and some religious music, so she would have to be really non-pareil in those areas to be evaluated in Mollensonian terms. She did set Langston Hughes, mind - as did Zemlinsky - but I'm really pushing my luck there!
            t should be remembered that CotW isn't 'The World's Great Composers': it's Composer of the Week - the composer chosen to be examined this week. Some weeks it will be lesser lights, other weeks it'll be JS Bach. It's a documentary series, not a music programme.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              t should be remembered that CotW isn't 'The World's Great Composers': it's Composer of the Week - the composer chosen to be examined this week. Some weeks it will be lesser lights, other weeks it'll be JS Bach. It's a documentary series, not a music programme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Bonds
              That's true but no-one, especially the composer herself, is done any favours by the hyperbolic nonsense quoted by the OP.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

That's true but no-one, especially the composer herself, is done any favours by the hyperbolic nonsense quoted by the OP.
                It depends what was meant by 'important', I suppose. If she was 'one of the first Black composers and performers to gain recognition in the United States' [sic Wikipedia], that is important, socially and historically, even if her musical output was unimpressive.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It depends what was meant by 'important', I suppose. If she was 'one of the first Black composers and performers to gain recognition in the United States' [sic Wikipedia], that is important, socially and historically, even if her musical output was unimpressive.
                  It's good that female composers from the past are finally receiving their due but the cause isn't helped by overselling. It inevitably sets up false expectations that can result in setting back the cause rather than advancing it.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

It's good that female composers from the past are finally receiving their due but the cause isn't helped by overselling. It inevitably sets up false expectations that can result in setting back the cause rather than advancing it.
                    Yes, I quite agree. She may be 'one of the earliest black composers, to be recognised in the US, but compared with the works of William Grant Still and Florence Price her classical output seems considerably less ambitious. Perhaps the praise was a case of overdefensiveness in the expectation of some sort of backlash? . Blessed is he that expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed ...

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

I apologise to Kate and Donald. I did actually type 'Donald' first and then mistakenly thought I'd got it wrong. I've amended my initial post.

Comment

Working...
                      X