X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Ethel Smyth (1858-1944): 29 July - 2 August

Surprised I am indeed not to find an already existing thread for Ethel - here programmatically subtitled under Musical Olympians, of whom there will be others to follow, presumably, otherwise Radio 3 will be for the high jump.

Often considered hopelessly 19th century in musical outlook, which is by no means altogether true, as we will no doubt find out this week, and in any case not relevant, given that there were 19th century composers whose music can at times sound daring to those searching out solidly-based innovation and even the promise of things to come. Am I hearing distinctive rhythmic quirks and odd harmonic turns in among the otherwise clearly Mendelssohn/Schumann-influenced miniatures on offer today? These early pieces are certainly solid, and less stolid than I once felt.
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 30-07-24, 22:21.
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Surprised I am indeed not to find an already existing thread for Ethel - here programmatically subtitled under Musical Olympians, of whom there will be others to follow, presumably, otherwise Radio 3 will be for the high jump.
    Soon to lap Ethel is Joseph Bologne... Will there be others? (Repeats of Chopin & Germaine Tailleferre don't seem to be).

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Often considered hopelessly 19th century in musical outlook, which is by no means altogether true, as we will no doubt find out this week, and in any case not relevant, given that there were 19th century composers whose music can at times sound daring to those searching out solidly-based innovation and even the promise of things to come. Am I hearing distinctive rhythmic quirks and odd harmonic turns in among the otherwise clearly Mendelssohn/Schumann-influenced miniatures on offer today? These early pieces are certainly solid, and less stolid than I once felt.

Comment

Working...
      X