• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Thomas Linley Jnr (1756 - 1778): 8-12/7/24

Very interesting first episode of this COTW from a couple of weeks back, what a story! Inevitably (given his tragically curtailed output) young Tom’s own music is eked out with that of contemporaries, but it’s no less enjoyable for that.

And amazing to hear the voice of Tony Scotland (Linley’s biographer) on R3 again… (he left the station in 1992!)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I collected the Hyperion discs of Linley recorded by Peter Holman, well worth having.

Thanks for flagging it up, Nick, sounds interesting.
    And oh how I loved Tony Scotland's voice and his sometimes deadpan delivery. I think it was he, who after a disc overran and the time signal was played over it, said " I do hope the Mendelssohn didn't spoil your enjoyment of the pips!"

Comment

• boesendorfer
      • Mar 2019

I can see Grimsthorpe from my house. Several public footpaths appear to go to the lake. I shall go and pay tribute in the near future.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

I listened to these programmes but I couldn't agree with Donald's repeated claims about the level of Linley's genius. Pleasant, well-written music, but nothing special.

Comment

Working...
        X