• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

25.4.2011 - Holst

Gustav Holst (1874-1934)

"Donald Macleod tells the story of one of our most celebrated composers; a man who was deeply suspicious of his own celebrity. His series features many of Holst's works for the stage, including his ballets and complete performances of several rarely heard operas."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I'm very sorry that no-one (including me...oh, I just have) has contributed to this thread. I was only able to listen to parts of the week's output, but if nothing else I was really glad to have been introduced to that excellent (concerto?) for two violins. Had that fallen on my 'innocent ear' I don't think I would have attributed it to Holst. I'm ordering a CD right now. There were also valuable insights into Holst's life and personality. I suppose these are widely available (via IH's biography if not elsewhere) but we don't all have time to read everything. I'm now going to catch up on the bits I've missed via LA. CotW really is one of R3's jewels. I hope the Beeb doesn't interpret our lack of comments as being lack of interest.

Comment

• Roehre

Ardcarp,
      I am sure having a look at what others are listening to shows that you are not the only one, but that there are others too who are listening to CotW.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        CotW really is one of R3's jewels. I hope the Beeb doesn't interpret our lack of comments as being lack of interest.
        Agreed. I'm grateful to the superbly presented CotW for introducing me to a whole galaxy of unfamiliar works (and in some cases composers - Geminiani, to name but one). R3 at its best. Not sure about the new time for the repeat, though.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I'm really sorry to have missed it all - only arrived back from holiday, 9.00 p.m. yesterday.

Comment

Working...
          X