Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mozart?

Anyone?
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

The last CoTW I listened to in its entirety was about Lassus. I looked at this week's playlist and quickly concluded that I wasn't going to discover much about Mozart's life and work that I don't already know.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
      The last CoTW I listened to in its entirety was about Lassus. I looked at this week's playlist and quickly concluded that I wasn't going to discover much about Mozart's life and work that I don't already know.
      Mastermind?

Are you trying to persuade us not to listen, or to seek out the podcast of the Lassus programme, since that is no longer available on demand?
      Indeed, what do others think the purpose of COTW is anyway? I don't listen to it regularly and perhaps not too frequently either, but when I do I usually learn something. Sometimes, even if I know the music, I find that the recording played sheds new light on works.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Mastermind?

Are you trying to persuade us not to listen, or to seek out the podcast of the Lassus programme, since that is no longer available on demand?
        Indeed, what do others think the purpose of COTW is anyway? I don't listen to it regularly and perhaps not too frequently either, but when I do I usually learn something. Sometimes, even if I know the music, I find that the recording played sheds new light on works.
        One 'purpose' was that this is National Young Persons' Week on Radio 3. True, in the case of prematurely demised composers, there would have been plenty to choose from.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• rauschwerk
          • Nov 2010

Mastermind?

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do anything, or to desist from it. I listen to CoTW when it concerns a major composer about whom I know little (Lassus being a case in point), but hardly at all otherwise. This week's focus is on Mozart's piano concertos which, from 50 years of listening, I probably know better than almost all of Mozart's other music.

That's all.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I wasn't trying to suggest that you haven't experience of Mozart's music. I also have listened to much of Mozart's output, but I do often still find COTW of interest when I do listen to it. Maybe others do too. I think the offerings this week include Piano Concerto 13 in C, K415, which isn't heard as often as some of the others. Most of us have some basic knowledge of some core composers works and lives, but there are quite frequently some other aspects which COTW brings out which would otherwise pass most of us by. In any case, until something better is offered I'd prefer it if COTW were kept in the schedules, though I did like the previous arrangement where the repeats were slipped by a week. There are programmes with worse formats than COTW as others around here have commented on over the last few years.

I will try to pick up the Lassus podcast now, having been prompted. Thanks.

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

In any case, until something better is offered I'd prefer it if COTW were kept in the schedules, though I did like the previous arrangement where the repeats were slipped by a week.
              Agreed!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

And in any case CotW isn't about playing the music (again): it's about the context surrounding it, the events in the composer's life at the time - which one may not know, even if one knows the music.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I think I've missed a point - is there a suggestion that CotW might be removed from the schedules? It's one of the most consistently reliable programmes that the BBC broadcasts in any medium, so I fervently hope not. However, with the i-Player/Listen Again facility, the evening repeat is redundant. I'd prefer if that hour were devoted to Jazz, World and New Musics.

Other than that, my position concerning this week's set of Mozartiana is practically the same as rauschy's; undeniably marvellous Music, but repertoire I know very well - if a free hour during the broadcast had come up, I'd've listened with great enjoyment. As it is, too many other things requiring imminent attention.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

In any case, until something better is offered I'd prefer it if COTW were kept in the schedules, though I did like the previous arrangement where the repeats were slipped by a week. There are programmes with worse formats than COTW as others around here have commented on over the last few years.
                    I agree with that, but I really cannot see the point in repeatedly featuring very well-known composers whose works are broadcast on R3 on a daily basis and the general outline of whose lives is probably known by much of the R3 audience - unless it is possibly to explore works of those composers that are off the beaten track. The real value of CotW for me is when it features composers of whose life and work I know relatively little.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      And in any case CotW isn't about playing the music (again): it's about the context surrounding it, the events in the composer's life at the time - which one may not know, even if one knows the music.
                      Just so: which is why, having sung a handful of wonderful Lassus pieces, I relished finding out lots more about his life.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                        I agree with that, but I really cannot see the point in repeatedly featuring very well-known composers whose works are broadcast on R3 on a daily basis and the general outline of whose lives is probably known by much of the R3 audience - unless it is possibly to explore works of those composers that are off the beaten track. The real value of CotW for me is when it features composers of whose life and work I know relatively little.
                        Exactly my thoughts too.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Exactly my thoughts too.
                          I'd prefer this, too - but there is an important role for the "discovering Mozart through his Piano Concertos" type of CotW: whilst "much of the R3 audience" is very familiar with this repertoire, there are listeners who are new to it and who (as I did as a teenager) use such programmes to build up their knowledge. Their needs shouldn't be entirely discarded - they aren't catered for in the same depth and reliability by ClassicFM or any other broadcaster.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... well, this COTW did nudge me into getting a HIPP rendition of the quintets - not the Chiara Banchini wh they played on Thursday [K515] -

I thought that a bit rough, - but instead the Salomon

So not, I think, a totally wasted week for me - even tho' I may have been listening to Mozart piano concertos for over fifty years...
                            Last edited by vinteuil; 08-05-15, 15:59.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              I'd prefer this, too - but there is an important role for the "discovering Mozart through his Piano Concertos" type of CotW: whilst "much of the R3 audience" is very familiar with this repertoire, there are listeners who are new to it and who (as I did as a teenager) use such programmes to build up their knowledge. Their needs shouldn't be entirely discarded - they aren't catered for in the same depth and reliability by ClassicFM or any other broadcaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X