Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Yes, I thought the eccentric "brown rice and sandals" brigade had long since disappeared from the early music world, but it would appear not!

Comment

• bicycledave

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Actually, I think there was only a small suite of Rameau dances from "Platée" that featured in the programmes, so you didn't miss a great deal of him, bicycledave. Good to learn of another fellow Ramiste!
      I guess I didn't miss much, then, in regard to Rameau. - My first serious introduction to Rameau was a Composer or the Week series on him in 2008, and I've been a huge fan every since. It has been an expensive addiction; those William Christie DVDs are not cheap!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bicycledave View Post
        I guess I didn't miss much, then, in regard to Rameau. - My first serious introduction to Rameau was a Composer or the Week series on him in 2008, and I've been a huge fan every since. It has been an expensive addiction; those William Christie DVDs are not cheap!
        Mine was the aria from Castor et Pollux "Tristes apprêts, pâles flambeaux", in the William Christie HM recording, also thanks to R3 (Early Music Show I think). Opened up the whole world of baroque opera for me.

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I think my ears were first opened to Rameau with that wonderful recording of "Pygmalion" by Gustav Leonhardt and La Petite Bande at the end of the 70s - still the best version for me. Then came their similarly impressive recordings of "Zais" and "Zoroastre".

Comment

Working...
          X