Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

In Tom Service's article he states "The journey from Brahms’s First Symphony to his Fourth is from optimism to pessimism". Isn't this a bit of a generalisation? The beginning of Brahms 1 is hardly sweetness and light, one would have thought.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Indeed. A snip at £7.21, not like those £100+ 'bargains' that get posted. Tho' I expect many forum members own them already.
      I would have thought that 60p a disc was a 'bargain'. If they do own it already, then they almost certainly paid a lot more than £100 for it. I see it as a resource to dip into over an extended period of time and particularly when downloads largely take over - a route I have no wish to take.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lento View Post
        In Tom Service's article he states "The journey from Brahms’s First Symphony to his Fourth is from optimism to pessimism".
        Give us strength! There's a touch more to Brahms 4 than pessimism as well. Possibly, an inexorable, unyielding fate; but only pessimism? Surely a touch simplistic.

And what about Brahms 2 and 3, are they supposed to be intervening steps on the continuum from optimism to pessimism, with the second slightly more optimistic than the third?

AAMONI, I've just re-read Richard Osborne's notes to the Gilels set of Brahms PCs: a model of elegantly written prose; illuminating, intelligent and without the seemingly all pervasive need to come up with a soundbite.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Give us strength! There's a touch more to Brahms 4 than pessimism as well. Possibly, an inexorable, unyielding fate; but only pessimism? Surely a touch simplistic.

And what about Brahms 2 and 3, are they supposed to be intervening steps on the continuum from optimism to pessimism, with the second slightly more optimistic than the third?

AAMONI, I've just re-read Richard Osborne's notes to the Gilels set of Brahms PCs: a model of elegantly written prose; illuminating, intelligent and without the seemingly all pervasive need to come up with a soundbite.
          You really should read the article in full, SV. There's more to it than the hook of its first line.
          Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 14-05-14, 17:56.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            You really should read the article in full, SV.
            Are you suggesting that I might have been a bit precipitate in my response?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              Are you suggesting that I might have been a bit precipitate in my response?
              Sir, it's almost as if you had read the maxim inscribed on the Temple of Apollo at Delphi: Know Thyself!
              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
              X