• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
    2000 was simultaneously the last year of the 20th century and the first year in our lives that began with the digit "2" ..
    Ah, you are responding to other information that doesn't confirm your belief. I am having a therapeutic influence on your condition.

Now just think about how 2000 couldn't have been the last year of the previous century, and you've got it!

Good chap, keep going.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      And what kinds of answer do you receive?

Off topic - sorry!
      Varies. Sometimes a smack in the mouth, sometimes I'm told to foxtrot oscar, mostly I'm ignored. I can live with it.

Comment

• Radio64
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        The delightful, seemingly ever-busy Rebecca Front was very much in the background for the recent, rather good 3-part architectural series The Brits Who Built the Modern World. Only noticed her in the closing credits.

(going off-topic...sorry!)
        gotta love the way things go wonderfully off-topic on this forum at the drop of a hat (or an 'h')

Ms. Front: ooh ..guess what! she's on twitter!
        "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

tonight, 8 PM, music fans, BBC 4.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            tonight, 8 PM, music fans, BBC 4.
            Thanks for the reminder, TS - I would have forgotten to turn the jimmy!

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Watched it. All rather 'basic' on the information side, but the old footage and bygone interviews were rather absorbing. I do remember some of those interviews (e.g. the Walton ones) from first time around. Wonder what they'll do with Britten next week? No doubt he'll be strolling along Aldeburgh beach with his walking stick, his cardigan and his dog.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

The usual BBC simplifying approach to classical music, replete with simpering voiceover from someone with clearly no knowledge or interest in the subject. ""20th century composers alienated their public who preferred music with tunes". Aargh!!!

Sara Mohr-Pietschs insight that the "Rite" was like being hit round the face with a wet fish was hardly drawn from the library of memorable music criticism. However, once I'd mentally switched off from the inane, patronising narration, I was mainly struck by just how much hair George Benjamin has managed to lose in 25 years - rather like watching an advert for Advanced Hair Studio in reverse.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Some good footage. Very ordinary (at best) commentary, and some tantalising reminders of the kind of arts programming that the BBC used to do when it had 1 or 2 TV channels which broadcast a few hours a day.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 15-03-14, 09:40.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

I found that I'd seen most of the old footage "back in the day". But it was enjoyable to make its acquaintance again.

Re the VO, my own thinking was that it would be quite suitable for 12 year olds, but mine wanted to watch the ghastly Dance Moms.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

I've seen that clip of Mr & Mrs Messiaen walking around a wood with a tape recorder before, but hadn't appreciated it was on the outskirts of Cardiff. I wonder if any Welsh birds became immortalised in music. [no smutty puns please]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Some good footage. Very ordinary (at best) commentary, and some tantalising reminders of the kind of arts programming that the BBC used to do when it had 1 or 2 TV channels which broadcast a few hours a day.
                        Was searching for it everywhere. I knew it was on Radio 4 but didn't realised they'ed switched it to BBC4 at the last minute. Only found out at 10.10pm. Glorious programme with DS on the Orient Express, so all was not lost.

Worth a punt on the iPlayer, yes, no?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Was searching for it everywhere. I knew it was on Radio 4 but didn't realised they'ed switched it to BBC4 at the last minute. Only found out at 10.10pm. Glorious programme with DS on the Orient Express, so all was not lost.

Worth a punt on the iPlayer, yes, no?

its all in the Radio Times !!

I would say yes, if you don't think you have seen the footage, and can put up with some condescending and 3rd rate presentation.
                          A long way from unmissable.
                          However , spending the time with Nono's " Il Canto Sospeso" would be time better spent though, if rather less comfortable .
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 15-03-14, 12:47.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            Watched it. All rather 'basic' on the information side, but the old footage and bygone interviews were rather absorbing. I do remember some of those interviews (e.g. the Walton ones) from first time around. Wonder what they'll do with Britten next week? No doubt he'll be strolling along Aldeburgh beach with his walking stick, his cardigan and his dog.
                            Oh not the clip of Britten & Forster pogo-ing up Aldeburgh High Street in PVC hotpants with the Vienna Boys Choir then?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              Many years ago the cartoonist Larry did a page on Aldeburgh in Punch, one of the cartoons depicting two American-looking women tourists tiptoing across Aldeburgh beach to a breakwater, the one saying to the other, "If we don't make too much noise, we might just catch a glimpse of Ben and Peter"!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                                • Nov 2010

Whatever footage they use of Britten, I'll probably have seen it (unless it's the one suggested by ams, that is ) I shouldn't think there'll be very much about him anyway. He's had his turn recently. I just hope the commentary isn't too silly. The Radio Times says something about 'Britten at his most urbane', not a description of him that I'd use.

I enjoyed the clips last night, though the commentary was very predictable. I don't think I'd seen Strauss before, and I'd vaguely expected him to look more interesting, somehow. Copland came across well.

Comment

Working...
                                X