• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

20thC composers in their own words: new series on BBC4 TV

Are the BBC at last starting to mine their archives for gems?

The forthcoming "In Their Own Words: 20th Century Composers" describes itself as a "Series using the BBC archives to reawaken the voices of 20th-century classical composers"

The "series" seems to be a promising looking pair of hour-long programmes, starting a week Friday (14 March) on BBC4 TV at 8pm:

Further detail:

Remarkable rare footage of Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Copland, Walton, Elisabeth Lutyens, Richard Strauss, Shostakovich, Messiaen and Tippett gives a first-hand account of the revolution that classical music underwent in the first half of the century. As we see Schoenberg play tennis, Strauss and Shostakovich play with their grandchildren and hear Messiaen tell the story of how he wrote his most significant work in a German PoW camp, we get a vivid picture of what it took to be a composer during the most turbulent time in modern history.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

And

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Good Golly!!

Maybe 20 Century music will get a bit of purchase on this forum!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Radio64
              • Jan 2014

Ta for the tip-off Cals.

Looking forward to seeing Schoenberg playing tennis.
              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Arnie playing tennis is already available on youtube
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and if it's Strauss + grandchildren + snow, it might be from this documentary
                video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                Last edited by mercia; 05-03-14, 12:46.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  Maybe 20 Century music will get a bit of purchase on this forum!!
                  And, with a smidgen of luck and a large miracle, maybe (just maybe, mind; no breaths should be held) somebody at the Beeb might get the idea of getting some footage of 21st Century composers both so that there'll be something interesting to watch for today's audiences and, in eighty years' time, another equivalent programme could be put together from the archive.

Comment

• Radio64
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ImK5CpSmo
                    I just knew they would be ...

Speaking of 21st Century composers, who are the ones to listen up for these days?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                      Speaking of 21st Century composers, who are the ones to listen up for these days?
                      Well, now! Are you sitting comfortably?

Brian Ferneyhough, Richard Barrett, Rebecca Saunders, James Saunders, Bryn Harrison, Aaron Cassidy, Evan Johnson, Tim McCormack, Liza Lim, James Clarke
                      Helmut Lachenmann, Salvatore Sciarrino, Pierluigi Billione, Chaja Czernowin, Beat Furrer, Bernard Lang, Michael Maierhof, Raphael Cendo, Brice Pauset

... just to name a few of my favourites. Some decent stuff by Julian Anderson, Tansy Davies, Kaija Saariaho, Olga Neuwirth, James Dillon, Chris Dench, Chris Fox, Gordon Downie, George Benjamin, Joanna Baillie, Magnus Lindberg, Bent Sorensen, Wolfgang Rihm and plenty of others, too.

And don't miss Alistair Hinton's String Quintet, either - very different in idiom from the others I mention, but a totally successful work in every respect.

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 05-03-14, 17:17.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

And, with a smidgen of luck and a large miracle, maybe (just maybe, mind; no breaths should be held) somebody at the Beeb might get the idea of getting some footage of 21st Century composers both so that there'll be something interesting to watch for today's audiences and, in eighty years' time, another equivalent programme could be put together from the archive.
                        Yep, but we're only in year 15 of the C21, so who knows!?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ImK5CpSmo
                          and http://composersdoingnormalshit.tumblr.com/page/2

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Brian Ferneyhough, Richard Barrett, Rebecca Saunders, James Saunders, Bryn Harrison, Aaron Cassidy, Evan Johnson, Tim McCormack, Liza Lim, James Clarke
                            Helmut Lachenmann, Salvatore Sciarrino, Pierluigi Billione, Chaja Czernowin, Beat Furrer, Bernard Lang, Michael Maierhof, Raphael Cendo, Brice Pauset

... just to name a few of my favourites. Some decent stuff by Julian Warburton, Tansy Davies, Kaija Saariaho, Olga Neuwirth, James Dillon, Chris Dench, Chris Fox, Gordon Downie, George Benjamin, Joanna Baillie, Magnus Lindberg, Bent Sorensen, Wolfgang Rihm and plenty of others, too.

And don't miss Alistair Hinton's String Quintet, either - very different in idiom from the others I mention, but a totally successful work in every respect.

Enjoy!
                            Great list ferny, but no ALW?

Comment

• Radio64
                              • Jan 2014

... just to name a few of my favourites. Some decent stuff by Julian Warburton, Tansy Davies, Kaija Saariaho, Olga Neuwirth, James Dillon, Chris Dench, Chris Fox, Gordon Downie, George Benjamin, Joanna Baillie, Magnus Lindberg, Bent Sorensen, Wolfgang Rihm and plenty of others, too.

Enjoy!
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X