• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Barry Collet

Barry Collet first came to my attention when Pearl Records issued the first modern recordings of some of Elgar's wartime music, principally the recitations and Fringes of the Fleet. Barry Collet conducted the Rutland Sinfonia, who were fine in these works but sadly wanting in the much more challenging Polonia (which Boult had already recorded). The CD was interesting in that it was recorded digitally, but with analogue editing (DAD).

More recently, the same performers recorded Elgar's early music composed for the Powick Asylum on the British Music Label. But at last Collet's efforts have been rewarded by a new recording of the Powick pieces in which he has been able to conduct a professional orchestra.

Finally collected on disc, the recordings of a young Elgar's shunned compositions for a Worcester asylum's staff band are insightful pointers to his future style
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Someone gave me Collet's first attempt with the Rutland Sinfonia as a cassette. Can't say it's been played often and I doubt if a pro band would upgrade it much. The new disc seems to repeat all that was on the old one with a few additions.

However, there is on both discs a Polka - Blumine (1884). It could boost sales if they claim it as the inspiration for the withdrawn extra mov't of Mahler 1 (1889)
    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 04-03-14, 22:52.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

The Powick Music doesn't contain any great music, but I think "A Voice in the Desert", sung by Teresa Cahill on Collet's recording of Elgar's War Music is an absolute gem. Very moving too.

Barry Collet is a recent recipient of the Elgar Society Medal.

Comment

Working...
      X