• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Catherine Bott on Radio 4

Catherine Bott on software that corrects out of tune singing but is also a creative tool.

I see it's a repeat from last year (and perhaps it wouldn't get made now...) but I missed it then, so here's a link in case anyone else missed it too.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01shwkq

(and perhaps it wouldn't get made now...)
    I understand there may still be the odd programme turning up on Radio 4; not without precedent when Radio 3 'gets rid of what doesn't serve the audience'.

Interesting feature in Ariel back in 2002:

"A Shared Passion is the result of a year of consultation to discover what the audience wanted, says controller, Roger Wright. ‘We wanted to build on what works, and get rid of what didn’t serve the audience.’

He decided to give more prominence to professional musicians to front programmes in the same way that former sports stars handle presenter and pundit roles on radio and television. [...]

[ ... ] ‘The Early Show, presented by Manze and Bott, is an area where we felt we were weak, and so we’re raising our game.’

splutter splutter
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

So SM-P is the 'professional musician' fronting The Choir to give what serves that particular audience, is she?

Hmm.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I heard it first time round and enjoyed it again today. Had you not beaten me to it, Jean, I was going to post under Beeb not got shot of Bott. OTOH maybe it's as well I didn't. But I do miss her velvet tones.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

"A Shared Passion is the result of a year of consultation to discover what the audience wanted, says controller, Roger Wright. ‘We wanted to build on what works, and get rid of what didn’t serve the audience.’

He decided to give more prominence to professional musicians to front programmes in the same way that former sports stars handle presenter and pundit roles on radio and television. [...]

[ ... ] ‘The Early Show, presented by Manze and Bott, is an area where we felt we were weak, and so we’re raising our game.’
          That is quite, quite, quite X 100....UNBELIEVABLE.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

and just to point out that in sport, the recruitment of ex players as presenters has resulted in a quite appalling standard of presentation, in a " Jobs for the boys(and girls)" way.

Not a model to emulate.
            Some of the ex players are good pundits. But not many.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              So SM-P is the 'professional musician' fronting The Choir to give what serves that particular audience, is she?

Hmm.
              Keep up, lad - that was back in 2002, when R3 was weak in the area of Early Music and was raising its game. All that's been done.We had Catherine, Andrew Manze, Charlie Hazlewood, Chi Chi Nwanoku ... gone, all gone, and never called me Mother!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Keep up, lad - that was back in 2002, when R3 was weak in the area of Early Music and was raising its game. All that's been done.We had Catherine, Andrew Manze, Charlie Hazlewood, Chi Chi Nwanoku ... gone, all gone, and never called me Mother!
                Do you miss Charles Hazlewood ?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Credit where it's due, Bb - I don't miss the loud shirts and the chest hair (not a problem on R3) but yes, and he did some good stuff on the telly with that show where he had people from Viktoria Mullova to Lucie Skeaping and her band....considering there's no classical music at all on BBC TV these days he was a lot better than nothing. Andrew Manze was an excellent presenter on R3, likewise Chi Chi Nwanoku - unlike the appalling ex-footballer pundits teamsaint mentions, communication skills seem to be part of the package with players like these.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Yes. But my aim's getting better.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Yes. But my aim's getting better.
                      Oooh, I say!!!

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Catherine Bott with highlights of the past seven days' programmes
                        Pick of the Week
                        Today from 18:15 to 19:00

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Thanks, HG. I headed there straight away.

The bit about Gieves and the cost of naval uniforms interested me as I have a Gieves bill for my father's wartime uniform:

1 Super Uniform Reefer £8. 15. 0
                          2 1/2 rows lace and curl £1. 18. 0
                          1pr Uniform Trousers £4. 7. 6
                          Purchase Tax £1 15. 9
                          Dated 19th December '44

Good to hear those finely modulated tones again... :-)

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Thanks, HG. I headed there straight away.

The bit about Gieves and the cost of naval uniforms interested me as I have a Gieves bill for my father's wartime uniform:

1 Super Uniform Reefer £8. 15. 0
                            2 1/2 rows lace and curl £1. 18. 0
                            1pr Uniform Trousers £4. 7. 6
                            Purchase Tax £1 15. 9
                            Dated 19th December '44

Good to hear those finely modulated tones again... :-)
                            They don't make them like that anymore....

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X