X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Bernard Haitink at 85 - and Beyond.

Congratulations to Bernard Haitink for reaching the age of 85 this Tuesday, March 4.

Haitink is my musical godfather having made a deep impression on me from my very earliest days listening to music. My very first Mahler disc was one of his and I've seen him in the concert hall countless times with many, I hope, still to come.

By way of celebration, here is a live 1969 performance of the Mahler Resurrection Symphony with the Netherland Radio Symphony Orchestra:

Happy birthday, Bernard Haitink.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Congratulations to Bernard Haitink for reaching the age of 85 this Tuesday, March 4.

Haitink is my musical godfather having made a deep impression on me from my very earliest days listening to music. My very first Mahler disc was one of his and I've seen him in the concert hall countless times with many, I hope, still to come.....
    That makes two of us, Petrushka

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      That makes two of us, Petrushka
      Make that three of us

When I came to London in the early 1970s I started sitting in the cheap choir seats at the Royal Festival Hall where I 'learned' a lot of orchestral and concerto repertoire from performances conducted by André Previn with LSO and Bernard Haitink with LPO, for which I give much thanks.

Happy Birthday Maestro Haitink .. and many more to come I hope

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

A hearty happy 85th birthday to Maestro Bernard Haitink on his 85th birthday.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Why can't BBC Radio 3 offer a Listen Again service as comprehensive as that of Netherlands' Radio 4. O.k., it'e 256kbps mp3, rather than Radio 3's 320kbps aac, but what a vast selection!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Happy birthday Bernard Haitink.

Thank you for that wonderful set of RVW Symphonies

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

I would have liked to see Bernard on the front cover of Gramophone this month !

A minor point perhaps.

Any views on the recent Bruckner 9? I am thrilled by it while acknowledging it might not be to all tastes..

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                I would have liked to see Bernard on the front cover of Gramophone this month !

A minor point perhaps.

Any views on the recent Bruckner 9? I am thrilled by it while acknowledging it might not be to all tastes..
                There only appear to be 3 of the 4 movements.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

As I was present in the hall for this I knew pretty much what to expect but have to admit that the extreme slowness was something I never noticed on the night. On CD the slowness is more noticeable but I find the performance every bit as involving and despite the slow speeds it never hangs fire. On the whole I prefer his 1981 Concertgebouw account which rekindles memories of a superb 1983 Prom by the same artists and which has never been bettered. Now if only we had that on CD!

The first time that Haitink's name came to my attention, so far as I can recall, was at a 1971 performance of the Mahler 3 which was broadcast and was the first time I ever heard the work. The first time I saw him was the day after his 54th birthday when he conducted the LPO in Manchester (Goehr Little Symphony, Beethoven 8 and Elgar 2). It was the first of many, many concerts with him on the podium.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

My experience echoes that of Petrushka and Ams - I too used to haunt the RFH in the early 70s and saw Bernard Haitink and the LPO many times - my first live Bruckner and Mahler symphonies among much else. After a long spell across the water in the 1980s I caught up with him again in the 1990s - 2 Rings, Die Meistersinger, and performances with many great orchestras. I only regret I haven't seen him live more times. And I too would love to hear what people think about the new LSO 9....

Happy birthday Bernard Haitink!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      As I was present in the hall for this I knew pretty much what to expect but have to admit that the extreme slowness was something I never noticed on the night. On CD the slowness is more noticeable but I find the performance every bit as involving and despite the slow speeds it never hangs fire. On the whole I prefer his 1981 Concertgebouw account which rekindles memories of a superb 1983 Prom by the same artists and which has never been bettered. Now if only we had that on CD!

The first time that Haitink's name came to my attention, so far as I can recall, was at a 1971 performance of the Mahler 3 which was broadcast and was the first time I ever heard the work. The first time I saw him was the day after his 54th birthday when he conducted the LPO in Manchester (Goehr Little Symphony, Beethoven 8 and Elgar 2). It was the first of many, many concerts with him on the podium.
                      How did the Bruckner 9 on 15.3.2009 with the RCO in the Barbican compare with those, Pet? (I think you, Alsion and I were all there?)

Yes a Mahler 3 with the LPO in the RFH in 1972 was the first time I'd heard the work, having had no idea what to expect

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        How did the Bruckner 9 on 15.3.2009 with the RCO in the Barbican compare with those, Pet? (I think you, Alison and I were all there?)
                        The RCO is a Bruckner orchestra without peer (VPO excepted) and that March 2009 performance was fully in line with Haitink's other recordings and performances I'd heard up to that point. The LSO hasn't got the Bruckner pedigree of either the RCO or VPO (sorry about all these initials) and for me this is crucial. I started a somewhat provocative thread on here a while back saying that English orchestras don't understand Bruckner. For the RCO such understanding and blend of tone would be second nature. For the LSO, Haitink would have had to work hard to endeavour to reproduce that same blend of tone. On the night in the hall such considerations don't really come to the fore but on CD they do.

Haitink's speeds just five years ago were 'normal' whatever that means. The LSO recording is extremely slow - 67' compared to 62' in 1981 and 59' in 1965 - and the Barbican acoustic doesn't help all that much. Mind, on the night I cheered along with everyone else because it was certainly an overwhelming experience. That 1981 recording is the Haitink Bruckner 9 to go for.

The March 2009 concert given a day or two earlier in the Concertgebouw was on the Netherlands Radio website at one time but can't seem to find it any more. Might be on youTube though.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          How did the Bruckner 9 on 15.3.2009 with the RCO in the Barbican compare with those, Pet? (I think you, Alsion and I were all there?)

Yes a Mahler 3 with the LPO in the RFH in 1972 was the first time I'd heard the work, having had no idea what to expect
                          The first time I ever heard Mahler/5 was Haitink and the LPO on tour in the 1970s in Ann Arbor, Michigan. At that time I only know Mahler 1, 2 and 4 and the 5th just blew me away. I remember the Elgar Introduction and Allegro was also on the Concert and that also made a strong impression.
                          Haitink has been a Principal Guest Conductor for years now here in Chicago, and except for that aforementioned experience in Ann Arbor, most of my times seeing him are as an Octogenerian (him, not me). I have always been impressed by his vitality on the podium and his control of the Orchestra. fwiw, I think that he has a charisma in Concert that is only hinted at in recordings, even ones made from live sessions.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday sir Bernard.

Today's the day.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday sir Bernard.

Today's the day.
                              What will be your chosen music this evening?

Comment

Working...
                              X