X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slarty
    • Sep 2024

CLASSICAL MUSIC and the Movies

As Oscar night is upon us, a movie related question.
    which movies (any country, any period ) have made the best use of already existing classical music for their soundtracks?

Two obvious nominations 2001 A space Odyssey (johann and Richard with Ligeti ect.)
    Death in Venice (Mahler 5)
  • Oliver

My favourites are from the cinema of the sixties. I stopped going soon after this.

1) Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman); Bach's Cello Suite in G Minor
    2) Mama Roma (Pasolini); Vivaldi's Concerto in D Minor RV540

Pasolini invariably used classical music. In his St Matthew's Gospel, the crucifixion is accompanied by Mozart's Masonic Funeral Music. In Accetone (about a pimp in Rome), the scene when the protagonist is attacked is accompanied by the final chorus of Bach's St Matthew. A very interesting effect; unlike film music generally, the music here apparently contradicts what is happening on screen.....or does it? Is the pimp a Christ figure- like the young waiter in Mama Roma?

I'll stop there. I suspect that I'm the only Pasolini devotee who contributes to this forum!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

How about Hollywood and the classics?

I've always treasured the moment in the film A Woman's Face, when Joan Crawford plays a murderess whose face is seriously disfigured on one side. Of course, as she is Joan Crawford, we only see her from her good side as she sits at a concert grand playing some quietly romantic prelude.

Conrad Veidt, who is the villain ( Naturally! ) Leans confidentially over the keyboard, saying "Ah! You like classical music! Symphonies ? Concertos ?"

To which she coldly replies " Some symphonies, most concertos "

I wish they still made them like that!

Comment

• amateur51

In Anthony Minghella's Truly Madly Deeply Nina (Juliet Stevenson) and her dead boyfriend Jamie (Alan Rickman) play some JSB together (viola da gamba & piano) when he reappears to her - it's their tune - poot!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Amadeus, of course - and skilfully done.
          Brief Encounter
          Ocean's Eleven

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Fantasia

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              Fantasia
              Silly me. Fancy forgetting that.
              Other Disney cartoons -
              Fantasia 2000
              plus a "short" I can't recall the name of

And there's also
              Raising the Wind, a "Carry on" style comedy.
              Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 02-03-14, 13:46.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Adolescent memories:

Mary Astor as a temperamental concert pianist tearing into Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No 1 in"The Great Lie" (1941) as she sparred with Bette Davis over the custody of her child.

Tchaikovsky again as I became seduced by my intro to the Romeo & Juliet, Fantasy Overture, in the first version of "The Magnificent Obsession" (1935 - seen by me some years later)), Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor.

"Escape" (aka as "When the Door Opened") (1940) when a young boy became a lifelong Wagnerite after hearing the Tristan & Isolde prelude in this film - also starring Conrad Veidt.

A conversion to Puccini in "His Brother's Sister" (1943) when Deanne Durbin sang None Shall Sleep so effectively.

A further conversion with several road to Damascus surprises in "Music for Millions" (1944) culminating with a rousing Hallelujah chorus. These early memories from hugely popular films also gave me a gift for life.

Comment

• Tevot
                  • Nov 2010

Hello there,

Kubrick used music very well didn't he? I remember Bartok and Penderecki from The Shining and Ligeti again in Eyes Wide Shut...

There is a film (very much in Kubrick's spirit I think) called Birth - info about it is here - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/birth/

and it has a sequence featuring the prelude to Act 1 of Die Walkure - and to me at any rate it is spine tingling...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The film was poorly received - but it is one that I've got a lot of time for.

There's also The Unbearable Lightness of Being - in which Janacek's music was used pertinently and evocatively.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece of imagery and music; Mozart, Handel, Schubert and that old fave Trad ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Absolute favourite has to be Fellini's Otto e Mezzo. I can't hear the Barber of Seville without thinking of Claudia Cardinale. Trailer here

Also Schubert Piano Trio in Kubrick's Bary Lyndon.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Dare I mention K 467?

Goodbye Again
                        Based on a Françoise Sagan’s novel with the original title Aimez-vous Brahms. One of the less impressive/well known Ingrid Bergman’s films, with Yves Montand, Anthony Perkins. I can’t remember the actual works but I think there were scenes where Brahms’s works were used. It was made in the early 1960’s

Oliver #2 (re: Pasolini)
                        No, you are not alone, although I was more fascinated by the imagery than the contents (?) of his films. I wasn’t worldly enough then to understand what I was seeing (although I thought I did). I wonder what I’ll make of his films if I see them now but I’m not sure if I want to try.

Incidentally, do we have movies instead of films now?
                        Last edited by doversoul1; 02-03-14, 13:28.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Am I the only one to totally hate classical music being used in this way? The combination of images and music can stay with one for ever and colour one's perception of the music for a lifetime. What's more the use of classical music in film can have a decidedly negative impact on the interpretation of the piece used and here I am particularly thinking of the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th Symphony. Interpretations have got slower and slower since its use in Death in Venice and it has taken on a death-tinged hue ever since when in reality it is a tender declaration of love to his wife, Alma.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I am far more offended by watching a film with and atmospheric classical-style score, only to be subjected to a dumbed-down ending with an inappropriate pop-style song for the credits.

A sequel to a film for which I did some of the orchestration is a case in point.

But for films I can name, Born Free and Titanic are good examples.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                              Eyes Wide Shut...
                              It's the Shostakovich 'Variety Suite' Waltz No. 2 that I associate with that film, unforgettably...

Personal favourite: Schumann's Piano Quintet in Bergman's entrancing 'Fanny & Alexander'

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X