X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Tippett's second symphony premiere...

Does anyone know if a recording exists of the works disastrous first performance exists? Popular opinion is that the leader of the BBCSO, Paul Beard, altered the string parts notation to make it easier to read but I've read that the principle flute came in late, bringing the wind section with him. Of course, Sir Adrian Boult gallantly shouldered the responsibility but I wonder what really happened.

I don't suppose the BBC would want to release a recording of their flagship orchestra falling apart but it must have interest for those who love this music. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 19-02-14, 17:12.
  • Roehre

It would be interesting indeed to be able to actually hear what happened during the symphony's premiere.
    But I seem to recall to have read that during the rehearsals things didn't run smoothly either.
    Perhaps it was Sir Adrian who after all should have taken the decision not to perform the piece that night.
    Whatever, without the actual audio evidence of what happened, we'll never know who were to "blame".

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

I would imagine that any tape would have been wiped at the earliest opportunity! The then Controller of Music, R J F Howgill, wrote to The Times as follows:-

"...In music, practicability of text may not be the concern of the critics: to orchestral players in the mass, it may mean the difference between confidence and doubt. The comprehensive technique of the BBC Symphony Orchestra is equal to all reasonable demands."

In other words, the BBC blamed the composer. But Tippett then consulted Barbirolli, who was hoping to conduct the piece himself, and JB saw nothing wrong with Tippett's original string notation which Beard had high-handedly revised.

I think that after all these years it's better to draw a veil over the episode. Countless performances have since shown that the piece is perfectly playable.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        I would imagine that any tape would have been wiped at the earliest opportunity! The then Controller of Music, R J F Howgill, wrote to The Times as follows:-

"...In music, practicability of text may not be the concern of the critics: to orchestral players in the mass, it may mean the difference between confidence and doubt. The comprehensive technique of the BBC Symphony Orchestra is equal to all reasonable demands."

In other words, the BBC blamed the composer. But Tippett then consulted Barbirolli, who was hoping to conduct the piece himself, and JB saw nothing wrong with Tippett's original string notation which Beard had high-handedly revised.

I think that after all these years it's better to draw a veil over the episode. Countless performances have since shown that the piece is perfectly playable.
        Didn't Barbirolli however come to have second thoughts and though he thought it playable - didn't think it had much merit .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

There is a tape of the second performance, which suggests that it was indeed the Violins who had problems reading their parts - there is a very noticeable "solo" violin entry round about bar 18 which anticipates the section entry in the next bar. On the whole, I remember the performance as being quite good; it was broadcast during the Tippett 80th birthday celebrations - over thirty years ago!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            Does anyone know if a recording exists of the works disastrous first performance exists? Popular opinion is that the leader of the BBCSO, Paul Beard, altered the string parts notation to make it easier to read but I've read that the principle flute came in late, bringing the wind section with him. Of course, Sir Adrian Boult gallantly shouldered the responsibility but I wonder what really happened.

I don't suppose the BBC would want to release a recording of their flagship orchestra falling apart but it must have interest for those who love this music. Any thoughts?
            It certainly does exist - and I think it's in a collection now in the British Library sound collection. Lewis Foreman played an extract at a talk I attended about 10 years ago. As you say, it wasn't edifying, but it was certainly fascinating. From what I remember it sounded as if it was a false entry in the strings that set things on a rocky path - but I hesitate to attribute 'blame' after one hearing a decade ago...

Comment

Working...
            X