Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    The Beethoven Triple isn't his best work but the Brahms Double is fine though I have to say that I don't listen to either very much and have never heard them live.
    Brahms opus 102 is one of my favourites.

Beethoven op.56 is a weird product.
    It's his second attempt to compose a triple concerto.
    A concerto in D was abandoned although he already had started to write out the orchestral score - contrary to his normal working method without having prepared a continuity draft.

Both concertos suffer from rather static and inert melodic material- and this may be deliberately so.
    The opening melody of op.56 is very difficult to develop, too inert for using in a proper contrasting sonata movement. Would be a perfect theme for a variation movement however. It's this ambiguity which causes the bit boring character of at least the first mvt.

Contrary to any of the other concertos the triple concerto is essentially not a concerto based on contrasting material between soloist and orchestra developing in something of a dialogue. It is based on repeating material between the soloists, not contrasting with the orchestra and certainly not in a dialogue. It's essentially a concertante for piano trio and orchestra in a kind of a concerto grosso, and Beethoven was not succesful in this experiment.

The polonaise theme of the rondo-finale doesn't convince either.

One element however returns later: the transition form slow mvt to finale. The op.56 model returns (better exploited, but nevertheless) in the Emperor-concerto.

From the very beginning the triple concerto wasn't considered a succes , not by the composer, not by the soloists.
    The public seems not be able to warm for the work either.
    Not even Oistrach, Rostropovich and Richter are IMHO able to save it.

Indeed, for me this work fits perfectly within the subject of this thread.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
      Beethoven's Triple Concerto and Brahms' Double Concerto - Is it just me or are these works difficult to pull off?
      I love both these works and have had a long-term liking for the Fricsay (TC - Fournier, Schneiderhan, Anda, DC - Schneiderhan, Starker).

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

A concerto in D was abandoned although he already had started to write out the orchestral score - contrary to his normal working method without having prepared a continuity draft.

Both concertos suffer from rather static and inert melodic material- and this may be deliberately so.
        The opening melody of op.56 is very difficult to develop, too inert for using in a proper contrasting sonata movement. Would be a perfect theme for a variation movement however. It's this ambiguity which causes the bit boring character of at least the first mvt.

Contrary to any of the other concertos the triple concerto is essentially not a concerto based on contrasting material between soloist and orchestra developing in something of a dialogue. It is based on repeating material between the soloists, not contrasting with the orchestra and certainly not in a dialogue. It's essentially a concertante for piano trio and orchestra in a kind of a concerto grosso, and Beethoven was not succesful in this experiment.

One element however returns later: the transition form slow mvt to finale. The op.56 model returns (better exploited, but nevertheless) in the Emperor-concerto.

From the very beginning the triple concerto wasn't considered a succes , not by the composer, not by the soloists.

I'm afraid I can't agree about the Beethoven, especially when played by Oistrakh and Co. True, Beethoven kept the ideas simple for the interplay of three players, but the lilt they bring to the finale is captivating. Ah well!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Joining the thread late, let's see:

Puccini: The Girl from the Golden West
          Beethoven: finale of 5th Symphony
          Mozart: Cosi Fan Tutti
          Bach: 48 Prelude & Fugues
          Tchaikovsky: 1st Piano Concerto
          Elgar: The Wand of Youth
          Monteverdi: Orfeo
          Schubert: Symphony no. 5
          Wagner: Lohengrin
          Vaughan Williams - I can't think of anything at all

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I think that piece was composed posthumously!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Fascinating post Roehre,thanks.
              I'm not qualified to argue against your explanation of the Triple Concerto's shortcomings,but IMVHO Oistrach, Rostropovich and Richter make it sound like a masterpiece

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                Fascinating post Roehre,thanks.
                I'm not qualified to argue against your explanation of the Triple Concerto's shortcomings,but IMVHO Oistrach, Rostropovich and Richter make it sound like a masterpiece
                they certainly do, and as ferretfancy rightly says, the finale is definitely played with gusto.
                But even this recording - or the likewise well played one with Fournier, Schneiderhan, Anda on DGG [included in the DGG Beethoven Editions of 1970 and 1977 e.g.] - hardly leaves listeners with the impression of a not to be missed master piece I'm afraid.

Comment

• Don Petter

they certainly do, and as ferretfancy rightly says, the finale is definitely played with gusto.
                  But even this recording - or the likewise well played one with Fournier, Schneiderhan, Anda on DGG [included in the DGG Beethoven Editions of 1970 and 1977 e.g.] - hardly leaves listeners with the impression of a not to be missed master piece I'm afraid.
                  Perhaps the problem is the forced arrangement for violin, 'cello and piano, since, as in the case of the arpeggione, it is now impossible to find a triple?

Comment

• David-G
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Joining the thread late, let's see:

We seem to have diametrically opposing views. Lohengrin is (to me) a particularly wonderful opera by Wagner; Cosi fan Tutte is one of the great ones by Mozart; and The Girl of the West is my favourite Puccini (in fact, just about the only one I really like).

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      Perhaps the problem is the forced arrangement for violin, 'cello and piano, since, as in the case of the arpeggione, it is now impossible to find a triple?

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Saint-Saƫns:
                        Piano concertos - with the exception of No 2.

They get slightly better with more exposure, but I think "slightly" is the operative word.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                          Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie
                          oining the thread late, let's see:

Vaughan Williams - I can't think of anything at all.
                          I seem to have diametrically opposing views. Lohengrin is (to me) a particularly wonderful opera by Wagner; Cosi fan Tutte is one of the great ones by Mozart; and The Girl of the West is my favourite Puccini (in fact, just about the only one I really like).
                          That's just the point, isn't it. Most of these works are on the top draw of classical music (though perhaps not this particular Elgar work). But not for me.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I love both these works and have had a long-term liking for the Fricsay (TC - Fournier, Schneiderhan, Anda, DC - Schneiderhan, Starker).
                            We can stand shoulder-to-shoulder on those two, cloughie

Comment

• hmvman
                              • Mar 2007

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius. Just can't get into that work in spite of several attempts!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                                Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius. Just can't get into that work in spite of several attempts!
                                i'm saying nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X