• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kea
    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Dvorak 1 and 2
    I love Dvorak 1 and 2. (I've never found 1 excessively long as some people seem to...) It's 9 I struggle with simply because I've heard it soooo many times I no longer want to hear it ever again.

The same applies to Beethoven's 5th, 7th, 9th and Für Elise, Mozart's K545 and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Kinderszenen, Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Peter and the Wolf, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Appalachian Spring, Prokofiev's 1st... An exceptional performance can still salvage Stravinsky's three early ballets for me, but I suspect they'll go that way soon as well.

Also: They're not "problem works" per se, but I'm surprised when people praise Schumann's symphonies, orchestral and chamber music, while ignoring his piano works (particularly Opp.1-20) and lieder. I have nothing against his orchestral and chamber music, even the works often considered "weak" (eg the violin concerto or the last piano trio)—I find I love Schumann's weaknesses as much as his strengths—but it can be difficult for me to reconcile them with the revolutionary, fantasy-prone composer of Davidsbündlertänze, Kreisleriana and the Fantasie (not to mention Dichterliebe and Frauenliebe und Leben) which are among the greatest masterpieces of the Romantic era.

Comment

• Tevot
      • Nov 2010

Beethoven's Triple Concerto and Brahms' Double Concerto - Is it just me or are these works difficult to pull off?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        What you need is a dose of John White's Jew's Harp Machine.

A classic album indeed
        thanks

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Pictures from an Exhibition, please.

I used to fight that battle, but eventually gave up. 'At' still grates, though.

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

The blasted "Nutcracker" - drives me bananas. (Did you see what I did there?!)

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                Beethoven's Triple Concerto and Brahms' Double Concerto - Is it just me or are these works difficult to pull off?
                Tevot, I think, it's because they are difficult to pull off. Wether it's because of the instrumentation involved, I am not sure. I amvery happy with the versions I have!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I'd nominate Shostakovich's 13th...
                  This surprises me. It is, by some way, I think, Shostakovich's most Russian symphony. Is it the Yevtushenko texts that are difficult? Following Russian text even in transliteration isn't easy but once you do then the sheer daring of what both YT and DSCH managed to do in 1962 Soviet Russia immediately becomes apparent. They tested the Kruschchev thaw to its very limits. An important and vital work in Shostakovich's output.

I recommend the live 1962 recording of the second ever performance with Kondrashin on Russian Disc. The electric tension here is palpable, as if everyone expected the performance to be stopped at any moment and DSCH and YT arrested.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

are these works difficult to pull off?
                    Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Tevot, I think, it's because they are difficult to pull off.
                    Now we're getting somewhere!

Actually, Tevot, it's always mystified me - I can't get to like either piece and have always vaguely wondered why.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      I used to fight that battle, but eventually gave up. 'At' still grates, though.
                      I'm sure you're right, as Alan Bennett once wrote to me on a postcard ( You have to hear the voice) Nevertheless I've just checked the labels on half a dozen CDs, and they all use 'AT' so I'm afraid it's hands up and march away.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Difficult but not impossible Tev.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Difficult but not impossible Tev.

The Beethoven Triple isn't his best work but the Brahms Double is fine though I have to say that I don't listen to either very much and have never heard them live.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            The Beethoven Triple isn't his best work but the Brahms Double is fine though I have to say that I don't listen to either very much and have never heard them live.
                            The opening of the slow movement of the Brahms Double, as played by Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Szell, is one of my all-time great moments in recorded music. One man's meat ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Edgeley's nomination is one of my favourite recordings - performances that just reveal how convincing the Musical material of these works is. And I think that the Brahms is my favourite of his Concertos/oes/i.

It's the first Movements of the Violin Concertos of both Bs that I find difficult: the performers have really to know how to pace the course of these Movements to avoid longueurs - much more so, I've felt, than other Concerto first movements. But when it works - ooooooh, yes!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Now we're getting somewhere!

You're just a sucker for a double-entendre

Comment

Working...
                                X