X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Problem Works By Composers You Love

Lots in JS Bach's oeuvre for me. In his violin sonatas/partitas, there are works I love and others I never listen to, or, if I do, I remain unmoved by them. The sei solo seem overwhelmingly melancholic for the most part. Interestingly, when these works are programmed in recitals, or played on R3, it is the usual suspects that get aired: the ebullient Partita in E Major and that other 'black pearl', the Partita in D Minor with its famous ciaccona. Compared to the Cello Suites, the solo violin works seem much darker and bleaker in the main.

With the keyboard partitas, I love Partita No. 1 in B Flat Major, but never get beyond that. Again, this is the one that gets trundled out on the radio and at concerts. I have warmed to the E Minor partita, but the others don't move me.

I have also struggled to warm to Book 2 of the WTC. Book 1 is much more immediate from the off, and feels more mixed in its moods.

Over to you.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

The last part of Lutoslawski's concerto for orchestra.

Comment

• Don Petter

Much as I like, and in some cases love, his other works, I can't stand Hindemith's 'Symphonic Metamorphosis etc'.

Maybe it's because of relative over-exposure.
      Last edited by Guest; 15-02-14, 16:55. Reason: Typo

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Much as I like, and in some cases love, his other works, I can't stand Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis etc.

Maybe it's because of relative over-exposure.
        Ravel 's Bolero.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Picture at an Exhibition comes to mind. I have several recordings of the familiar Ravel orchestration, and others by Stokowski and Tishmalov, and of course the original piano version. The piece turns up at the Proms practically every year, and I still hear it from time to time on one way and another, but even though I like it I wouldn't be unhappy never to encounter it again.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

I hope this isn't going to turn into a list of people's pet hates because there is a difference.

As everyone on here must know by now I am a devoted Brucknerite but the 2nd Symphony completely eludes me. Love the third movement but the rest just doesn't connect in the same way as all of the others do. I nevertheless have over half a dozen versions on the shelves and play one of them every now and then but still it refuses to budge. Others on here have recommended the Tintner CD but I haven't yet tried it. I rather wish the Haitink was available separately or that he'd re-record it as I don't have his recording. I might break the habit of a lifetime and download it from the Symphony Edition.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              I hope this isn't going to turn into a list of people's pet hates because there is a difference.

As everyone on here must know by now I am a devoted Brucknerite but the 2nd Symphony completely eludes me. Love the third movement but the rest just doesn't connect in the same way as all of the others do. I nevertheless have over half a dozen versions on the shelves and play one of them every now and then but still it refuses to budge. Others on here have recommended the Tintner CD but I haven't yet tried it. I rather wish the Haitink was available separately or that he'd re-record it as I don't have his recording. I might break the habit of a lifetime and download it from the Symphony Edition.
              Agreed. I had in mind works that still don't open up to you after repeated listenings. Like yourself with Bruckner 2, I always live in hope that the right interpretation will come along and magically blossom into comprehensibility.
              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Have you tried Giulini on Testament? If that doesn't do it........!?

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Dvorak's earliest symphonies. Similarly Schubert. Mendelssohn - several symphonies which don't get much of an outing, and when one hears them this seems understandable, as also some of his other works - double concertos etc.

Tchaikovsky 3 - Polish symphony - though I like it "on a good day!"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The last movement of Mahler's seventh symphony - which doesn't hang together for me and goes on far too long, and which was quoted as described by someone as "Die Meistersinger on acid", on Thursday's COTW.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

I find it odd, but it has happened that from time to time a particular performance unlocks a piece that has been difficult to appreciate. That performance need not necessarily be one of the great recommended versions, but something in it opens the ears and mind. I've always enjoyed the Schumann symphonies,listening to performances by the likes of Sawallisch or Kubelik,but the 2nd symphony always escaped me until by chance I heard Ansermet's version with the Susse Romande. I doubt if a critic would have made it a first choice, but on hearing it I realised what I had been missing. Very odd.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 2. I know it's supposed to be miles superior to 1.

Even the weakish 3 is much more companionable I find !

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 2. I know it's supposed to be miles superior to 1.

Even the weakish 3 is much more companionable I find !
                          and as for the Violin concerto.......
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            and as for the Violin concerto.......
                            Quite so Sainty. I think the Polish symphony is a lovely work though. We had a good thread when it was featured on BAL.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Vaughan Williams.

Romance for Harmonica,makes me cringe.

Comment

Working...
                              X