X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    ...Criticism suggests to me complaint or codemnation. But the word Critic suggests a person qualified to air an opinion or reaction to a performance (or indeed a publication)

The posts received so far have named many distinguished Music Critica (Cardas, Keller, Simpson etc.) but they are/were read for the value of their appraisals which may contain ether praise or criticism and for me, I would like to feel that our own message boarders should feel the same freedom of expression either way when giving their own impressions of a performance.
    Perhaps the word you need was "critique"? Here in #35 from throppers:

criticism
    noun
    1. the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything.
    2. the act of passing severe judgment; censure; faultfinding.
    3. the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.
    4. a critical comment, article, or essay; critique.
    5. any of various methods of studying texts or documents for the purpose of dating or reconstructing them, evaluating their authenticity, analyzing their content or style, etc.: historical criticism; literary criticism."
    As in Kant "Critique of Pure Reason" an analysis of the potential of reason in this case. As has been said, a critic needs authority which comes from intimate knowledge of the subject matter - not just a Beckmesser - and a flexibility of mind that allows insights into other coherent ways of seeing things. A review of a performance needs to be conscious of the work's essence and potential but also open to new approaches and inspirations of the moment that are inherent in a recreative art. One could suggest that the critic needs to be an artist in his/her own right. But what do I know, I only listen, sometimes in wonder that people can produce such stuff and sometimes in wonder that people can produce SUCH stuff!!

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Gordon:As in Kant "Critique of Pure Reason" an analysis of the potential of reason in this case. As has been said, a critic needs authority which comes from intimate knowledge of the subject matter - not just a Beckmesser - and a flexibility of mind that allows insights into other coherent ways of seeing things. A review of a performance needs to be conscious of the work's essence and potential but also open to new approaches and inspirations of the moment that are inherent in a recreative art. One could suggest that the critic needs to be an artist in his/her own right. But what do I know, I only listen, sometimes in wonder that people can produce such stuff and sometimes in wonder that people can produce SUCH stuff!! As in Kant "Critique of Pure Reason" an analysis of the potential of reason in this case. As has been said, a critic needs authority which comes from intimate knowledge of the subject matter - not just a Beckmesser - and a flexibility of mind that allows insights into other coherent ways of seeing things. A review of a performance needs to be conscious of the work's essence and potential but also open to new approaches and inspirations of the moment that are inherent in a recreative art. One could suggest that the critic needs to be an artist in his/her own right. But what do I know, I only listen, sometimes in wonder that people can produce such stuff and sometimes in wonder that people can produce SUCH stuff!!

A very good summary, Gordon.

Hs

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        ... and then there was Beethoven's review of a fellow composer's opera: "I liked it very much. In fact, I'm seriously considering setting it to Music."

Or Verdi about a young composer's Requiem to the memory of Rossini: "Don't you think it would have been better if you had died and Rossini wrote a Requiem to your memory?"

And Stravinsky to a Los Angeles Music Critic: "Last night, the LAPO were world-beaters, whilst your Review of them was a local disgrace."
        Hanslick's (?) comment on Tchaikovsky's violin concerto: "One really has to consider whether music can stink."

Brahms to Bruch on hearing a drunk's singing and shouting: "I believe he is singing something from your new oratorio, isn't it?"

Von Weber on Beethoven's 7th: "Music of a madman"

Comment

Working...
        X