X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

The Art of Music Criticism

Notoriously difficult to write about, sometimes you come across words which inspire one to seek out the music:

It sounds as if somebody had smeared the score of [Wagner’s] Tristan when it was still wet.' The Vienna Tonkunstlerverein jury on Schoenberg's 'Verklarte Nacht'. Meant as a rebuke but to me it reads like a compliment!

'Anton Webern raised his baton before a chamber orchestra which included a guitar, mandolin, and cow bells. From the silence there escaped into sound wafts of strangely beautiful colour. The ear caught wraith-like wisps of melody which, as smoke, eddied for a moment and then dissolved. A sudden shimmer of iridescence where form and colour became one - and then the silence gently withdrew from us that of which we had scarcely become aware. Only a true musical poet could give us these fugitive glimpses of a new and fascinating world of sound.' From the Christian Science Monitor (I haven't been able to locate the critic!) Doesn't that make you want to run and listen to Webern!

Incidentally, Tom Service is currently doing an admirable job of music criticism at The Guardian in his '50 Greatest Symphonies' series.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Magical stuff Thropps .......and shamefully as a Grauniad reader I wasn't aware of the TS top 50.....that sort of thing has been known to inspire a thread and/or a list........

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

lovely examples, @Noggo.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

some of the greatest music critics of all time:
        1) George Bernard Shaw
        2) Robert Schumann
        3) Hector Berlioz
        4) Edward Hanslick

Frequently their judgements have famously not stood the verdict of time, but they are always fascinating to read.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          some of the greatest music critics of all time:
          1) George Bernard Shaw
          2) Robert Schumann
          3) Hector Berlioz
          4) Edward Hanslick

Frequently their judgements have famously not stood the verdict of time, but they are always fascinating to read.
          Don't forget Harriet Smith. Thanks.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Others, lest we forget:

Jerrold Northrop Moore
            Michael Kennedy
            H.C. Robbins Landon
            Felix Aprahamian
            Richard Osborne
            Robert Layton
            Bryce Morrison

Apart from their critical apercus it's their prose style which makes each of these writers a joy to read.

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Don't forget Harriet Smith. Thanks.
            Not one that immediately comes to mind.

Comment

• kea
              • Dec 2013

Famously:

If there were a conservatory in Hell, and if one of its talented students were to compose a programme symphony based on the story of the Ten Plagues of Egypt, and if he were to compose a symphony like Mr. Rachmaninoff's, then he would have fulfilled his task brilliantly and would delight the inhabitants of Hell. ~ Cesar Cui

Possibly the only time I've ever been seriously tempted to listen to Rachmaninov. :P

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

+ Alan Blyth

Nostalgia corner: I remembered a similar thread from the old Beeb Board

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

From the inimitable pen of Cardus, the following bons mots:

Of the Rite: "a sophisticated exploitation of primitive rum-ti-tum";

On meeting Delius in 1930: "There was nothing pitiable in him, nothing inviting sympathy in this wreck of a physique. He was wrapped in a monk-like gown, and his face was strong and disdainful, every line on it graven by intrepid living."

"(Delius') music looks back on days intensely lived through; it knows the pathos of mortal things doomed to fade and vanish."

(On a performance of The Magic Flute): "The opera in fact is the only one in existence that might conceivably have been composed by God."

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    From the inimitable pen of Cardus, the following bons mots:

Of the Rite: "a sophisticated exploitation of primitive rum-ti-tum";

(On a performance of The Magic Flute): "The opera in fact is the only one in existence that might conceivably have been composed by God."
                    Perhaps he was more perceptive writing about cricket

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

"The immoral profession of musical criticism must be abolished."

Richard Wagner

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        My thoughts exactly, Floss - "inimitable"? Let's hope.

How feeble, how petty-minded and weak-spirited seem Cardus' mots (failed on the emissions), even in its own terms - but when compared to Tovey, or Rosen, or Solomon, or Hopkins ... or even Newman!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          + Alan Blyth

Nostalgia corner: I remembered a similar thread from the old Beeb Board
                          ... + Michael Oliver

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I wonder if he applied his advice to cricket correspondents to his own musical criticism

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                              Not one that immediately comes to mind.
                              Not for the first time, Sir V, you type my thought!

Cardus is marvellous.

I love this consideration of Mozart's music by Carl Nielsen (which chimes with my experience of being 'put to' playing Mozart too early and finding it deadly dull):

“It is an offence against Mozart (and against the young student of music) for a teacher to set his pupil to play Mozart’s sonatas and quartets as soon as he has acquired a modicum of technique. It is barbarous, in fact, and will only spoil the pupil’s desire to study Mozart subsequently. How can we expect young people to appreciate the exquisitely alternating moods of this music, or feel the beauty of an art which expresses itself with such restraint and in so strangely spiritual a manner! What youth wants, above all else, is something it can grasp, something it can lay hold on with both hands. But the content of Mozart’s music is the least tangible, and so it is better to let the young musician get his fingers into Chopin and Liszt than choke the life out of Mozart. Later, however, when a measure of spiritual maturity has been attained, and the executive musician must learn to exercise not only his fingers but his mind and his soul, then the music of Mozart will be infinitely instructive
                              . . .”
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X