Professor Ivashkin,'Cellist, Writer, and Director of the Schnittke Archive has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Professor Ivashkin,'Cellist, Writer, and Director of the Schnittke Archive has died

I was very sorry to read this morning of Alexander Ivashkin's premature death. Everything he did was executed with enthusiasm, panache, passion and great professionalism. He was a man of great stature and integrity who refused to be trammelled by those with rulebooks but little vision. His work at Goldsmith's College, London to establish the Alfred Schnittke Archive was of great value - many of us remember with real joy the Schnittke Festival of 2001 that Ivashkin's curated.

Ivashkin was the first person to reveal to me the revolutionary qualities of Tchaikovshky's 1st Symphony.

I mourn the passing of a great musician and human being
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Really sad to read about this. I didn't realise he was based in the UK. I have several recordings by him - Myaskovsky cello concerto, and a few others. A fine cellist.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

In tribute, the LPO have made a 320kbps joint stereo mp3 stream of Alexander Ivashkin playing Schnittke's 2nd Cello Concerto available, free of charge until 3rd March.

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        A fine cellist.
        Yes, indeed. Very sad news.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

Thanks, Bryn, I shall be glad to hear the piece again - having heard it live in the original concert - I attended several of the events in the Festival and remember the occasions with fondness and clarity.

Comment

Working...
          X