X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Exploring Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas

This is an internet-based course run by pianist Jonathan Biss, a former BBC R3 New Generation Artist and Neubauer Family Chair in Piano Studies at Performance Faculty of Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia .

Commencing on 12 March 2014, it consists of a series of five lectures on one of the greatest bodies of music ever composed, from the point of view of a performer. Each lecture will explore a different facet of the music; all will attempt to locate the source of the tremendous psychological power of Beethoven’s music.

Offered by Curtis Institute of Music. Our relationship to Beethoven is a deep and paradoxical one. For many musicians, he represents a kind ... Enroll for free.

Curtis offers a range of other such courses, details available through the website.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Cheers ams. I was thinking only the other day that it was high time for another 'traversal'.

Quite tempted by FF-guy set which is pretty inexpensive.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I didn't really get into the course with Jonathan Biss the first time round, so might try again - maybe this time "for a grade". However I don't think I'm going to be able to make the "drop ins" with Jonathan - pity.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        This is an internet-based course run by pianist Jonathan Biss, a former BBC R3 New Generation Artist and Neubauer Family Chair in Piano Studies at Performance Faculty of Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia .

Commencing on 12 March 2014, it consists of a series of five lectures on one of the greatest bodies of music ever composed, from the point of view of a performer. Each lecture will explore a different facet of the music; all will attempt to locate the source of the tremendous psychological power of Beethoven’s music.

Offered by Curtis Institute of Music. Our relationship to Beethoven is a deep and paradoxical one. For many musicians, he represents a kind ... Enroll for free.

Curtis offers a range of other such courses, details available through the website.
        I am a proud graduate of this course, and I think I made a post on the forum about it when I was taking it a few months ago. I highly recommend it; both highly entertaining and educational. It really increased my appreciation for the revolutionary aspects of Opus 7, which gets the better part of 2 lectures. I thought he could have said more illuminating things about the last 3 Sonatas, but this is still a worth while listen

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I am a proud graduate of this course, and I think I made a post on the forum about it when I was taking it a few months ago. I highly recommend it; both highly entertaining and educational. It really increased my appreciation for the revolutionary aspects of Opus 7, which gets the better part of 2 lectures. I thought he could have said more illuminating things about the last 3 Sonatas, but this is still a worth while listen
          Cheers rfg - this spurs me on

Comment

• johnb
            • Mar 2007

By coincidence, recently I've been very taken by what I have heard of Kempff's playing and was thinking of buying his earlier Beethoven Sonata set.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              By coincidence, recently I've been very taken by what I have heard of Kempff's playing and was thinking of buying his earlier Beethoven Sonata set.
              If this is the 1950s DG set, it's my long-term favourite johnb

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

I have Kempff's (later?) DG set. I don't know his earlier (mono?) set. I have a few of the sonatas with Kovacevich, Brendel and Barenboim, and one or two other pianists, but always return to Wilhelm Kempff, of whom I have his complete set on DG.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Well done.

I did enroll after one of your posts, but I was late on, and really didn't find the time. Maybe next time round will be better - hope so. Some of the other courses I found also look good, as also one or two others elsewhere, but finding the time to do these is still a problem - though it shouldn't be!

Here is a programming course I meant to get into - https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun - but some of my friends managed that.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Cheers rfg - this spurs me on
                    Go for it. We can become fellow alumni and have virtual reunions.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

That is a coincidence. I bought the second Kempff set while I was in the middle of the Bis course. I already owned complete sets by Arrau, Brendel, Goode, and Schnabel but I have enjoyed the Kempff perhaps most of all. No one Pianist will shine equally well in all 32 Sonatas, but the only one that I really didn't think Kempff played well was Op 31/3 which was a bit to strait laced for my taste. Otherwise, marvelous. I bought it through Amazon, and they added a free mp3 download of the entire set, so I frequently listen to those on my phone when I am traveling, etc. I haven't heard the mono set.

Comment

• anamnesis

Commencing on 12 March 2014,
                        Thanks for that! I'll take the course.

Comment

• amateur51

Go for it. We can become fellow alumni and have virtual reunions.
                          Do I finally get letters after my name?

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

The Regis set, reviewed on Amazon, has negative comments re the recordings (or the transfers, or both). Anyone have experience of the set?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                              The Regis set, reviewed on Amazon, has negative comments re the recordings (or the transfers, or both). Anyone have experience of the set?
                              I think that member ferneyhoughgeliebte has posted negatively about the Regis transfers. The current DG 1950s set is fine to my ears but more expensive than the Regis, inevitably.

Comment

Working...
                              X