X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Richard Strauss

The Strauss celebrations have got off to a nice start with the current BBC MM cover disc of Also Sprach Zarathustra conducted by Jac van Steen, and Tod und Verklarung conducted by Kazushi Ono, both performances with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. I would have liked a slightly clearer acoustic in both works, but everything is there, and the playing is pretty good.

No doubt we will be hearing many classic performances as the year progresses, it would be nice to see the fine old VPO / Klemens Krauss Deccas re-appear in a newly re-mastered edition, the current CDs could be improved. I started exploring the composer on the original LPs, especially the wonderful VPO playing in Aus Italien
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    The Strauss celebrations have got off to a nice start with the current BBC MM cover disc of Also Sprach Zarathustra conducted by Jac van Steen, and Tod und Verklarung conducted by Kazushi Ono, both performances with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. I would have liked a slightly clearer acoustic in both works, but everything is there, and the playing is pretty good.

No doubt we will be hearing many classic performances as the year progresses, it would be nice to see the fine old VPO / Klemens Krauss Deccas re-appear in a newly re-mastered edition, the current CDs could be improved. I started exploring the composer on the original LPs, especially the wonderful VPO playing in Aus Italien
    Oh yes that Clemens Krauss recording of Aus Italien! I bought the Decca Eclipse LP in 'electronic stereo' back in 1974 and loved it. No other version has come anywhere near it.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Yes I've played the BBCMM disc a couple of times with some pleasure. Feeling a big appetite for lots of Strauss this year.

Comment

• Black Swan

I am anticipating it's arrival. I haven't received as yet. I have booked myself into the BBC Philharmonics Strauss concerts. Looking forward to hearing Also Sprach Zarathustra and the Alpine Symphony live.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
          I am anticipating it's arrival. I haven't received as yet. I have booked myself into the BBC Philharmonics Strauss concerts. Looking forward to hearing Also Sprach Zarathustra and the Alpine Symphony live.
          Hiya Black Swan,

Yes, I shall be there. These promise to be great evenings.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I'll be there too. Should be amazing with two orchestras.

Comment

• Black Swan

I had to do a 2nd booking as originally, I had only booked Zarathrustra. I don't know the Alpine Symphony so it will be a great experience for me....

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

I don't know the Alpine Symphony so it will be a great experience for me....
                EA will tell you that you won't get the best out of it if you don't listen at least once to all the recordings that he owns... (See EA's BaL EA thread for full details.) He's somehow conned me into ordering the RPO/Kempe recording on Testament. To go with my Dresden Staats/ Kempe CD-box, not to mention Wit and Haitink

It's addicitive dammit...
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Black Swan

Oh, no. I've been looking at Dresden Staats/Kempe and Haitink......

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Oh, no. I've been looking at Dresden Staats/Kempe and Haitink......
                    Utterly insufficient I'm afraid!
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      EA will tell you that you won't get the best out of it if you don't listen at least once to all the recordings that he owns... (See EA's BaL EA thread for full details.) He's somehow conned me into ordering the RPO/Kempe recording on Testament. To go with my Dresden Staats/ Kempe CD-box, not to mention Wit and Haitink

It's addicitive dammit...

Don't take any notice, Black Swan. If you do want a preview, it might be beter to listen to a really dull version, then the experience at the Bridgewater Hall will be a pleasant surprise.

Mediocre versions?
                      It's all a matter of personal taste, but I find both Karl Bohm recordings, both Zubin Mehta ones and Andrew Davis to be sluggish and dull, while the Welser-Most is so rushed that the life is squeezed out of the music.

But it is addictive.

Originally posted by Black Swan
                      Oh, no. I've been looking at Dresden Staats/Kempe and Haitink……
                      Both Haitinks are rather good.

Comment

Working...
                      X