• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I remember hearing Alfred Brendel saying that even though he had learnt a piece in the past it wasn't "digitised" and he had to re-learn things - I seem to remember he didn't do scales and exercises, the pieces themselves were enough.
    Barenboim has the same attitude, and had as a child learning the instrument. Rubinstein, however, believed them to be essential for Learners, and described how he got over the monotony of doing them as a boy - he would put a novel on the Piano Music stand and a bowl of cherries on the right of the instrument. He would then practise his left hand exercises for a page, feeding himself cherries with his right hand; when the time came to turn the page, he would transfer the cherries to the left side of the piano and practise his Right hand exercises. When he ran out of cherries, he'd practise hands together.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

I didn't hear the programme, but I'm very interested in the subject, especially as my 11 year old daughter is studying piano and cello. Although she has well-regarded teachers, both good players themselves, neither seems to understand that their primary function is not to teach pupils how to play, but how to practise.

Recently I've been researching two of the leading teachers of the late 19th / early 20th centuries - Leschetizky (piano) and Ševčík (violin). Both produced shoals of outstanding pupils, and both were quite clear on this point.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Barenboim has the same attitude, and had as a child learning the instrument. Rubinstein, however, believed them to be essential for Learners, and described how he got over the monotony of doing them as a boy - he would put a novel on the Piano Music stand and a bowl of cherries on the right of the instrument. He would then practise his left hand exercises for a page, feeding himself cherries with his right hand; when the time came to turn the page, he would transfer the cherries to the left side of the piano and practise his Right hand exercises. When he ran out of cherries, he'd practise hands together.
        Motivation is a powerful tool - great story ferney

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by David-G View Post
          I am lost. I thought this thread was about "The Practice of Practising"? What does Alan Rusbridger have to do with it?
          Alan Rusbridger, editor of The Guardian and amateur pianist has written an account of his learning to play Chopin Ballade no. 1. It covers his practicing in some detail via interviews with famous pianists of the day.

Comment

Working...
          X