X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    It's "Pistoni" in the Jurgenson first edition as well. And yes, I agree, these must be cornets (à pistons)...
    Also, they're bracketed with the E-flat trumpets, and separate from the horns above or 'bones below. It wasn't uncommon to write for pairs of trumpets and cornets. Elgar does so in Cockaigne and the P & C Marches, Debussy in La Mer. The name 'pistoni' is the unusual feature - but then instruments of the trumpet family attract some unusual names. I remember that 'clarini' can cause some discussion (among amateurs, at least).

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Couple of question about piano music if I may.
      In this clip what doe the numbers against some of the notes signify ?
      Also the Ped marking,how does the player know which pedal to use ?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        I don't know if you've tried just following a score, but that can be very helpful. Pick something straightforward that you know and like very well and get hold of a score (local library, or imslp online, for instance) and just get used to following the music. Take notice as things happen, and begin to anticipate. Try to hear the difference as things happen in the score.

This won't answer questions like your last one, but it will give them some context.
        Belated thanks for this Pabmusic,only just seen it.

A while back I did borrow a score of the Rite of Spring no less.
        Although I couldn't follow it bar by bar,I didn't get hopelessly lost.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Couple of question about piano music if I may.
          In this clip what doe the numbers against some of the notes signify ?
          Also the Ped marking,how does the player know which pedal to use ?
          The numbers are fingerings, 1 for the thumb to 5 for the little finger. Ped always means the sustaining pedal; the so-called 'soft' pedal is indicated by una corda (one string, which is what the mechanism does - ensure that only one string out of (usually) three is struck). To cancel it, the indication is tre corde or tutte le corde.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            The numbers are fingerings, 1 for the thumb to 5 for the little finger. Ped always means the sustaining pedal; the so-called 'soft' pedal is indicated by una corda (one string, which is what the mechanism does - ensure that only one string out of (usually) three is struck). To cancel it, the indication is tre corde or tutte le corde.
            Ah,as simple as that,many thanks LMP

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Ah,as simple as that,many thanks LMP
              Just to throw a spanner in the works, that is the "continental" system, which is now in universal use.
              But…

You can still buy Star Folio piano books and even the most recent reprints use the "English" system which uses a plus sign for the thumb and 1-4 for the fingers. Being obsolete doesn't make it any less annoying.

Continental fingering: 1,2,3,4,5
              English fingering: +,1,2,3,4

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Don't leave it us tantalised with only half the story, Ena. How does the Star Folio notate pedalling?

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

....... then of course there are three-pedal pianos, but I couldn't tell you the Italian term for applying the middle one

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    ....... then of course there are three-pedal pianos, but I couldn't tell you the Italian term for applying the middle one
                    Ped3 _____

(For those who would like to know, whilst the "usual" Sustaining pedal holds down every note that's played for as long as the pedal is kept down, the Third pedal only sustains the notes that are held down at the moment that the Pedal is depressed - not those played afterwards. This enables performers to keep a chord held smoothly underneath a rapid, staccato passage.)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• clive heath

Without having a score to hand, my guess is that the pedal marks are not the composers, and maybe not the fingering either. Beethoven was very sparing in his use of the pedal unlike some of his interpreters who drown his music in a sea of slush like watercolours running in the rain.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                        Without having a score to hand, my guess is that the pedal marks are not the composers, and maybe not the fingering either. Beethoven was very sparing in his use of the pedal unlike some of his interpreters who drown his music in a sea of slush like watercolours running in the rain.
                        Beethoven was very sparing indeed, but there is one very public use of the pedal: in the slow movement of PC4 the soloist has to play his part "mit Verschiebung" [with pedal] from begin to end.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                          Don't leave it us tantalised with only half the story, Ena. How does the Star Folio notate pedalling?
                          I'd explain if I thought you'd understand.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

As ever guys,many thanks for the replies.
                            So would it be normal for a composer to add fingering and pedal instuctions to piano music,or do they tend to be added later by others.
                            I'm sure I've seen the same piece with and without these instructions.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

So would it be normal for a composer to add fingering and pedal instuctions to piano music,or do they tend to be added later by others.
                              Pedalling, yes because it's about the sound you want
                              Fingering ? it's up to the player IMV
                              (I would only write bowing marks in if I wanted a specific articulation or effect)

Comment

• Roehre

Beethoven -it has been mentioned already- hardly gave fingerings in his piano music.
                                There are some notable exceptions here too: the piano trio in B-flat WoO 39 [a slight one mvt work lasting some 6 minutes]was dedicated to a young lady of the tender age of ten, Maximilliane Brentano, eager to learn to play the piano.
                                For her Beethoven wrote down the fingering, even in the manuscript of this lovely little piece.
                                She managed to play it well.

Comment

Working...
                                X