X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Britten Festival in Russia

A interesting report by Stephen Moss of a part-British Council/part Britten-Pears Foundation-funded festival of Britten's works, including his art collection, in Russia.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...eath-in-venice.

There is a fascinating section on why English music perhaps doesn't appeal to the Russian sensibility .. and then some clear evidence that when they get a chance to hear Death in Venice in concert under Rozhdestvensky with Bostridge, Iestyn Davies and Peter Coleman-Wright, they bring the house down.
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Yes, very interesting. I like the description at the end of Rozhdestvensky holding up the score - making it clear that the applause was for Britten and the music as much as for the performance.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

Iestyn Davies, who sang Apollo, has written an account of his experiences for the Arts Desk - called Death in Moscow. If I knew how to post a link on this iPad I would, but it's easy to find.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        Iestyn Davies, who sang Apollo, has written an account of his experiences for the Arts Desk - called Death in Moscow. If I knew how to post a link on this iPad I would, but it's easy to find.
        Many thanks Mary - here's the link ...

“A cold coming we had of it,” grumble the three kings in T S Eliot’s poem “The Journey of the Magi” later set by Britten as his Canticle IV. “Just the worst time of year for a journey,” they complain, carried onwards by the ungulate bass notes of the piano. Barely 48 hours after having stepped foot on the harsh, wintry Russian soil my two travelling companions (Ian Bostridge and Peter Coleman-Wright) and I lined up on the stage of the Small Hall of the Moscow Conservatory and delivered Britten’s five Canticles, weary eyed and journey worn.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Thank you!

I love the comment overheard in the interval - "This is even worse than Shostakovich." I imagine that was someone from the British Council.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
            Thank you!

I love the comment overheard in the interval - "This is even worse than Shostakovich." I imagine that was someone from the British Council.
            Yes indeed - and the photograph of Rozhdestvensky made me realise that he is one of the last links from that era in Anglo-Soviet music-making centred around Britten, Pears, Richter, Rostropovich, Vishnyevskaya, and Shostakovich of course etc. Some era!

Comment

Working...
            X