Your live performance highlight of the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I don't think I've been to any truly outstanding performances this year, although others have thought they were. I've become too critical, I suspect! Perhaps the one that stands out most is Petrenko's take on Britten's Cello Symphony and Shostakovich 14 in Liverpool, because I've never heard either of them live before, and I thought it was very clever programming.

On the radio the whole Britten weekend, much of which was live, was an absolute joy for me. The performance that moved me most, as opposed to being the best in any usual sense, was Noye's Fludde from Lowestoft.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I agree with Mary on Noyes Fludde, so very moving as it came from the church that is just a few hundred yards from where I've spent most of my life until last year and involving children from the local schools I know so well as well as from the North Suffolk Youth Orchestra of which I was a member for many years and for whom I wrote some music.

I was also thrilled to hear Roy Harris' 9th Symphony live in Cardiff a few days earlier in a thrilling performance by BBCNOW something I though I'd never have the chance to hear live. The performance of Diamond's Rounds in the same concert was absolutely superb, how I wish they'd tackle one of his symphonies (especially No 3).

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Taking Petrushka's rubric strictly I will go for a singular highlight:

RFH/Ashenazy:
        Britten: Suite from Death in Venice arr. Steuart Bedford
        Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No.2 (Solo Sol Gabetta) and Symphony No.15

(Maybe influenced by the presence of the delightful Ms Gabetta who was on hand in the foyer chatting with punters during the interval.)

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

The Sixteen/Harry Christophers, performing at the school where I work, last summer!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
          X