X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Mar 2013

Rattle/BPO announce London residency in 2015

Mahler 2, of course. A complete Sibelius cycle, too.

I post this for the information of others, as I don't care for Rattle and think he has neutered the Klang of the BPO. I expect JLW will be making a trip to the Great Wen to see them, though.
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I've just had an email re. These concerts and Mrs. PG and I intend to try to get tickets for the Sibelius cycle. Hearing the 5th, 6th & 7th symphonies in one concert is quite an event. Ironically, we have just arrived in a Berlin and are going to hear the Orchestra conducted by the Dud tomorrow.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      he has neutered the Klang of the BPO
      The ruddy Barbican acoustic will only serve further to emasculate same, I'd have thought
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        The ruddy Barbican acoustic will only serve further to emasculate same, I'd have thought
        Not if they limit their performances there to Helmut Lachenmann repertoire.

(Plink! Schplonk! Ker-blong!)

I believe the cadenza in his Violin Concerto requires the soloist to drop his bow, pick it up, then drop it again.
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I believe the cadenza in his Violin Concerto requires the soloist to drop his bow, pick it up, then drop it again.
          Some people will believe anything! A quick consultation with his publishers confirms my suspicion that there is no such work. Still, nice to know that Lachenmann's Music cannot itself be criticized - things have to be invented about it before there can be ridicule.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            The ruddy Barbican acoustic
            Eh? Shome mishtake shurely .... I thought that the residency was at the Southbank - or did I misread the e-mail?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              Eh? Shome mishtake shurely .... I thought that the residency was at the Southbank - or did I misread the e-mail?
              I got as far as the Sibelius, which is all at the Barb:

But yes, the Mahler's on the South Bank...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Some people will believe anything! A quick consultation with his publishers confirms my suspicion that there is no such work. Still, nice to know that Lachenmann's Music cannot itself be criticized - things have to be invented about it before there can be ridicule.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Not if they limit their performances there to Helmut Lachenmann repertoire.

(Plink! Schplonk! Ker-blong!)

Sounds far too musical for Lachenmann. I understood he had to drop his bow , scratch his or her back with it , scrape it along the music stand of the first violinist and then flick the back of the violin with a tuning fork .

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Oops, sorry, Cal - I was so instantly drawn to the Lachenmann/Mahler that I equally failed to notice that the Sibelius was at the Barbican ..... Give me Osmo any day

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Sounds far too musical for Lachenmann. I understood he had to drop his bow , scratch his or her back with it , scrape it along the music stand of the first violinist and then flick the back of the violin with a tuning fork .
                      Whom do you believe you are kidding, Barbie? You are absolutely obssessed with this Music - you can't resist mentioning it at every possibility, regardless of whether it's germane to the topic Thread, hoping to convince yourself and everyone else that it isn't important to you. It has seaped under your skin into your imagination in the way that only great Art can do - you've become like a teenager denying that he fancies someone. Go on; admit it (you know you want to): you love Lachenmann!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Whom do you believe you are kidding, Barbie? You are absolutely obssessed with this Music - you can't resist mentioning it at every possibility, regardless of whether it's germane to the topic Thread, hoping to convince yourself and everyone else that it isn't important to you. It has seaped under your skin into your imagination in the way that only great Art can do - you've become like a teenager denying that he fancies someone. Go on; admit it (you know you want to): you love Lachenmann!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Fascinating thread this for thickheads - not being a German scholar I had to look up klang, being a provincial oik I had to check what the Great wen was and I've never heard of Lachenmann. However thanks this board and google I'm now wiser!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Tough on working people who can't book until back home in the evening - by which time concerts may have sold out. I'd be blocked from using the computer at work and trying on my phone will be much too fiddly.

I'm going to try for the Mahler 2 anyway.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I had to look up klang,
                              A classic of the genre IMV

(not Kling Klang though , that's something else entirely ..... but also rather good)

Comment

Working...
                              X