X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I m of the general opinion, that Tchaikovsky's 3rd, is perhaps his weakest of all of his canon. He, I think, had to do something special, when he commenced the 4th.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I m of the general opinion, that Tchaikovsky's 3rd, is perhaps his weakest of all of his canon.
      Op.49 has his is strongest cannon.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        I m of the general opinion, that Tchaikovsky's 3rd, is perhaps his weakest of all of his canon. He, I think, had to do something special, when he commenced the 4th.
        ...and it worked!!!

But the 3rd is very pleasant.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Or in Alwyn's recording a slowed down recording of a shotgun!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            boom!!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
              Is there anyone else out there who loves the 3rd Symphony but looks in vain to see it scheduled for performance by the orchestra(s) they support?

I love Tchaikovsky and was thinking about performances of the 5th Symphony (my favourite) I have heard when I read of the death of Stanislaw Skrowszewski.

His performance was the most Barbaric I have heard. Rozhdestvensky the most Russian and Mark Elder the most English.
              Muti programmed all the Symphonies, including Manfred, here last year. I was present for Winter Dreams, the Third and Manfred, because I had never heard any of them in Concert, whereas 4,5, and 6 seem to be programmed yearly, and 2 fairly frequently.
              I do think 3 is the weakest of the lot, but there are worse ways to spend half an hour

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Yesterday evening I was at a concert that included Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet overture, which I'm pretty sure I'd neither heard in a concert or otherwise paid close attention to. Some remarks:

It doesn't really occupy its (twenty-minute) duration very well. It seems to consist principally of two main themes plus a great deal of "filler" in between their appearances. I know the "filler" is intended as a third thematic group and the whole as a sonata structure but I couldn't hear it like that.

When Tchaikovsky writes for orchestral tutti (as in the martial theme) the timbre is always the same (ie. in voicing and orchestration), not only in this piece but between this and his other orchestral music. It's a stereotypically bombastic sound that I really don't like. The most imaginative piece of orchestration for me was the first entry of the love theme on violas and english horn.

In other words I was left underwhelmed by the whole thing, which seemed to me rather unsubstantial and as if all its rewritings resulted in an ill-fitting patchwork. I hope I will have a chance to hear more live Tchaikovsky before long because this didn't leave a very encouraging impression!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

This was one of the works played at my first ever live concert in October 1960. I've always considered one of the composer's best constructed pieces, in perfectly executed sonata form.

I suppose the sumptuous orchestration will not please everyone, but when he wrote this work, Tchaikovsky was at the forefront of orchestration. But yes, the love theme on violas and English horn is particularly special.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    This was one of the works played at my first ever live concert in October 1960. I've always considered one of the composer's best constructed pieces, in perfectly executed sonata form.

I suppose the sumptuous orchestration will not please everyone, but when he wrote this work, Tchaikovsky was at the forefront of orchestration. But yes, the love theme on violas and English horn is particularly special.
                    It is a work difficult to dislike and what's wrong with a bit of sumptuous orchestration. I probably put it behind Francesca and Hamlet in the 'playlist pecking order' but that is probably down to hearing and listening frequently to the Stokowski StadiumSO WRC LP all those years ago.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      the sumptuous orchestration
                      I don't find it at all sumptuous! And I would say that at the time Wagner and Rimsky were "at the forefront of orchestration" more than Tchaikovsky was.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        I don't find it at all sumptuous! And I would say that at the time Wagner and Rimsky were "at the forefront of orchestration" more than Tchaikovsky was.
                        Romeo and Juliet is one of the composer's most programmed works; a very comonly used overture. I love the melodies and too find it somewhat overlong.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

When you say at the time, his early days or later? I always find it both interesting and disconcerting that it does not have an opus no - but originally written in 1870 it would have been Op9.5 or its revised, and presumably final version was 1880 and therefore Op40 something and a contemporary of Capriccio Italien ( nicely sumptuous in parts) and the Serenade for Strings (beautifully schmaltzy in parts), call me a softy but I love them both!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, they were both rather good also.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              When you say at the time, his early days or later?
                              Here I shall have to defer to the experts, because I don't really know which parts were written "early" and which were added later, and if the early parts were re-orchestrated in the revision, and if so to what extent. For me his orchestral writing hits a peak in the 4th Symphony. But maybe I only say that because I know it much better than anything else of his.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

O, yes!, the sheer joy and wonder of hearing the R & J Fantasy overture in the spacious RAH as a Prommer is forever 'in my memory lock'd'... As a young thesp, I was cast as Benvolio - a learning curve when I learnt to accept that Romeo would never be in my cv - but I also had the privilege of speaking the Prologue, timed to fit the percussion beat of the overture in the background, accompanied by a sense of adrenalin rush and its lesson of split-second timing. I can still feel the impetus.

"Two households both alike in dignity,
                                In fair Verona where we lay our scene,
                                From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
                                Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
                                From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
                                A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life;
                                Whose misadventur'd piteous overthrows
                                Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
                                The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
                                and the continuance of their parents' rage,
                                Which but their children's end naught could remove,
                                Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
                                The which, if you with patient ears attend,
                                What here shall miss our toil shall strive to mend."

Enunciate clearly, no put-on voices, and Shakespeare will do all the work.

Comment

Working...
                                X