• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    But Bbm, I would say more like a saxophone - but for me that is part of its charm - I think its something to do with the bore of the tubes. The French sound is similar in the 50s recordings from the PCO eg Solti's Tchaik 5.
    Yes, your right there. A saxophone. Me no likey!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      But Bbm, I would say more like a saxophone - but for me that is part of its charm - I think its something to do with the bore of the tubes. The French sound is similar in the 50s recordings from the PCO eg Solti's Tchaik 5.
      - I adore the timbre of that Franco-Russian brass sound.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        - I adore the timbre of that Franco-Russian brass sound.
        I hate it. Also not a fan of Soviet era blatty brass. Apparently the Russians themselves weren't to fond of it either, judging by the fact that once the wall came down and they were allowed to buy new instruments, they now sound like the rest of the world

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I hate it. Also not a fan of Soviet era blatty brass. Apparently the Russians themselves weren't to fond of it either, judging by the fact that once the wall came down and they were allowed to buy new instruments, they now sound like the rest of the world
          Moi aussi. The other former Warsaw Pact countries have adapted too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Even the Olso Phil horn, in the much lauded Jansons version of Tchaik 5, has a wobble on the longer notes, despite the Gramophone reviewer saying otherwise.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Even the Olso Phil horn, in the much lauded Jansons version of Tchaik 5, has a wobble on the longer notes, despite the Gramophone reviewer saying otherwise.
              I'll have to have a listen to that EA!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

I hate it.
                I think you've mentioned this before

Also not a fan of Soviet era blatty brass. Apparently the Russians themselves weren't to fond of it either, judging by the fact that once the wall came down and they were allowed to buy new instruments, they now sound like the rest of the world
                Yeh - homogenised and dull. Not so much that they were "allowed to buy new instruments" as that they actually could replace the old ones - and the only ones available were the standardised Western instruments. Fast food culture - everything has to be exactly the same the world over.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Yeh - homogenised and dull. Not so much that they were "allowed to buy new instruments" as that they actually could replace the old ones - and the only ones available were the standardised Western instruments. Fast food culture - everything has to be exactly the same the world over.
                  Completely. Those Mravinsky recordings are the sound of Tchaikovsky as far as I'm concerned. Too often his music is made to sound like confectionery. (Although of course some of it really is!)

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Do the 'old' Svetlanov recordings (Melodiya) have the same 'Moskvitch & Lada' brass as well?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                      the same 'Moskvitch & Lada' brass
                      You mean Stolichnaya and caviar I presume.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

It's hilarious that some people who condemn string vibrato in 19th century music, actually think it's great when the French horn players use it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          It's hilarious that some people who condemn string vibrato in 19th century music, actually think it's great when the French horn players use it.
                          Has anyone actually done this, Alpie - or is this a request?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Has anyone actually done this, Alpie - or is this a request?

But seriously, I'll tell you what I think about horn (and clarinet) vibrato, which is completely consistent with what I think about string vibrato, namely that there is no one way to do it and any kind of quasi-industrial standardisation of instrumental technique is a loss to music. Horn players in eastern European orchestras used to play with vibrato, and now they play just like everyone else. Pianos all used to sound different and now they all sound more or less the same (although Maestro Barenboim is bucking this trend with his approval of a new model). A hundred years ago different orchestras' string sections would have different approaches to vibrato. Now they all do it all the time. No wonder so many orchestras are in trouble these days, many of them just sound like inferior versions of the ones people have on CD, instead of having their own character.
                            Last edited by Richard Barrett; 09-03-17, 17:42.

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Orchestral musicians of my acquaintance don't think much of him - I know one who said he'd put him on a par with Sigmund Romberg!

I've always loved Tchaikovsky - he was the first 'great' composer I recognised: his music was everywhere when I was very young (I'm talking the mid-seventies, here). We used to file into assembly to the strains of the Waltz of the Flowers! I'm not sure he's (actually) any less popular today, as his music is still being programmed regularly, particularly the final three symphonies.

He was always posed a problem for Russian governments: the Soviets had a problem with his reactionary politics AND his homosexuality. Putin is probably relaxed (if not approving!) of the politics, but the sexual orientation continues to unsettle them. The official description of P.T. as 'a person without a family' is a bit ridiculous, even for a Russian government.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

....and the French did it in the 60s when the Orchestre de Paris was fomed, adopting an international sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X