X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

I've lived with the Koch/Schwann CD of Serenade OP.95/Suite im Alten Stil Op.93 (Bamberg SO/Stein) for several years, they are lovely performances in excellent sound - highly recommended! (Reviewed in Gramophone 11/97). And no, it isn't in the otherwise excellent 7-CD Berlin Classics Reger box.

The only other stereo one I know is Jochum with the Concertgebouw... sadly locked into the RCOA Anthology 1970-80 on CD 12. Fine performance again, but....

LATE EDIT - AHA! This Jochum one is available separately on TAHRA 4016, with Hindemith's Mathis Symphony. Well the date given is 27/01/76 rather than 22/01/76 (RCAO) but must be the same or a repeat performance. Can't vouch for the TAHRA sound (they're usually good), but both are sourced from NOS, and the Amsterdam Anthology one sounds really lovely!

Ready steady, shop!
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-12-13, 22:42.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      ..... Well the date given is 27/01/76 rather than 22/01/76 (RCAO) but must be the same or a repeat performance....
      January 22nd is the correct one, as the COA gave concerts on Thursday nights and Sunday afternoons in Amsterdam (very often, but not always, repeats) with a concert on Saturday night elsewhere (The Hague, Rotterdam or Utrecht).
      The concerts on Thursday were recorded - but generally not broadcast- by NOS. The Sunday concerts were generally broadcast live and recorded by AVRO.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

I've lived with the Koch/Schwann CD of Serenade OP.95/Suite im Alten Stil Op.93 (Bamberg SO/Stein) for several years, they are lovely performances in excellent sound - highly recommended! (Reviewed in Gramophone 11/97). And no, it isn't in the otherwise excellent 7-CD Berlin Classics Reger box.

The only other stereo one I know is Jochum with the Concertgebouw... sadly locked into the RCOA Anthology 1970-80 on CD 12. Fine performance again, but....

LATE EDIT - AHA! This Jochum one is available separately on TAHRA 4016, with Hindemith's Mathis Symphony. Well the date given is 27/01/76 rather than 22/01/76 (RCAO) but must be the same or a repeat performance. Can't vouch for the TAHRA sound (they're usually good), but both are sourced from NOS, and the Amsterdam Anthology one sounds really lovely!

Ready steady, shop!
        Hiya JLW,

Thank you for the head's up. I've just ordered the Bamberg SO/Horst Stein recording of the Serenade op.95 & Suite im Alten Stil, op.93 on Koch/Schwann. I have trouble listening past the very moderate sound to hear the lovely playing on my acccount by Hermann Scherchen on CPO.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

TAHRA
          Scouse for bye-bye, I believe...

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Most places north of Watford, Serial?

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              ... Hermann Scherchen...
              Ted Downes's teacher... (School of Unsolicited Facts)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                Most places north of Watford, Serial?

Comment

• amateur51

Didn't Alan 'Fluffs' Freeman, born in Oz but latterly of London town, sometimes used to sign off with Ta-raa!?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Hmm... no, I think you'll find "Cheers" is used rather more

(...the lovely Fluff probably learnt ta-ra from The Beatles, adopted as a sort of linguistic radical chic, tongue-in-cheek...)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Hmm... no, I think you'll find "Cheers" is used rather more

(...the lovely Fluff probably learnt ta-ra from The Beatles, adopted as a sort of linguistic radical chic, tongue-in-cheek...)
                      Hello JLW, I have now received and played the Max Reger disc on Koch Schwann that you recommended conducted by Horst Stein with the Bamberger Symphoniker. The Suite in the Olden Style and the Serenade for large orchestra, that I love so much, are indeed beautifully played and recorded as you suggested. Thank you!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Hello JLW, I have now received and played the Max Reger disc on Koch Schwann that you recommended conducted by Horst Stein with the Bamberger Symphoniker. The Suite in the Olden Style and the Serenade for large orchestra, that I love so much, are indeed beautifully played and recorded as you suggested. Thank you!
                        I've just noticed on the CD that the Suite was recorded in the old Dominikanerbau hall (described as "cramped" on the BSO's site, and looks it!) but the Serenade was done in the beautiful "Symphony on the Regnitz" opened in 1993 the year of these recordings. So THAT will get me to listen to them both again with new ears...

You might care to seek out Jochum in the Serenade one day... on the Concertgebouw disc it does sound gorgeous. Tahra should be OK too.

Comment

Working...
                        X