X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Reger Serenade for Orchestra, Op.95

I greatly Max Reger's Serenade for Orchestra, Op. 95 from 1905. My only recording of the Serenade, Op. 95 is Hermann Scherchen conducting the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie on CPO in 1960. I was wondering if anyone can suggest another recording that has improved sound quality?
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 01-12-13, 14:45.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    I greatly Max Reger's Serenade for Orchestra, Op.95 from 1905. My recording only is of the work is Hermann Scherchen conducting the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie on CPO in 1960. I was wondering if anyone can suggest another recording has improved sound quality?
    Played by the Dresden PO conducted by Heinz Bongartz (no; me neither!) it's included in the BRILLIANT Reger box of eleven CDs, which, as an MP3 download, can be bought for £7.49:

... the "real" CDs are a little more expensive (£24 +) from the marketplace:
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Oh dear ! Did he really reach Op. 95 ?

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Oh dear ! Did he really reach Op. 95 ?

Reger probably reached Op. 950. Imagine if he hadn't died in his early 40s.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Played by the Dresden PO conducted by Heinz Bongartz (no; me neither!) it's included in the BRILLIANT Reger box of eleven CDs, which, as an MP3 download, can be bought for £7.49:

... the "real" CDs are a little more expensive (£24 +) from the marketplace:
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BI8SF7S/ref=dm_rogue_cd
          Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte,

I know this Brilliant Classics Reger set but I didn't think that the Serenade for Orchestra was on it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte,

I know this Brilliant Classics Reger set but I didn't think that the Serenade for Orchestra was on it.
            Hi, Stan,

Ooops! Muddled up me Serenade Op 95 with me Sinfonietta Op 90.

As you were ...

(Reger's compositions reached Op 147 with (according to Wiki) a further 50-odd without Opus numbers: so, under a third of Mozart's catalogue, written over a lifetime that was not much longer than Wolfie's. He is a greatly underrated composer, the Amazon download is an excellent opportunity for people who don't know his work to hear a wide sample without breaking the bank.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Oh - and to make up for my Koch-up:

("Used" is probably the better option!)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte, Thank you for your reply. Yes I had seen this. Have you heard this account from Horst Stein?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte, Thank you for your reply. Yes I had seen this. Have you heard this account from Horst Stein?
                  Alas, no, Stan - in fact, I may never have heard the work at all (having confused it with the Sinfonietta)! Stein is a very reliable conductor, at his best in this Late Romantic repertoire, if that's any help.

Comment

• Roehre

(Reger's compositions reached Op 147 with (according to Wiki) a further 50-odd without Opus numbers: so, under a third of Mozart's catalogue, written over a lifetime that was not much longer than Wolfie's. He is a greatly underrated composer, the Amazon download is an excellent opportunity for people who don't know his work to hear a wide sample without breaking the bank.)

Reger's Ewig dein! from 1907 has opus number 17523 (note: this is genuine, though obviously a regerian joke) AFAIK the highest opus number in history.

Wiki is not giving the complete picture here (a problem which I generally encounter too many times consulting Wiki, I'm afraid), Although there are 148 opus numbers, there are quite a lot which consist of more than one work only:
                    4 violinsonatas opus 42, 6 sonatas for solo-violin opus 91, 52 pieces opus 76; 10 compositions opus 79a (followed by op.79b - 79e ) e.g.
                    Opus 131 is another characteristic example:
                    op.131a = 6 preludes and fugues,
                    op.131b = 3 duets in olden style;
                    op.131c = 3 suites for cello-solo;
                    op.131d = 3 suites for viola-solo

All orchestral works but one completed and one fragmented are to be found in excellent performances and good recordings in this 7CD Berlin Classics set
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-12-13, 16:28. Reason: link added

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      Wiki is not giving the complete picture here (a problem which I generally encounter too many times consulting Wiki, I'm afraid)
                      Indeed - why I always add the caveat "according to Wiki" when that's my sole source in a quick online check.

All orchestral works but one completed and one fragmented are to be found in excellent performances and good recordings in this 7CD Berlin Classics set
                      Sadly, it seems that the "one" that is "but-ed" is the very Serenade Op95 that Stan's looking for. (I notice that the conductor is the same as that on the BRILLIANT set - are these the same performances licensed out?)

Comment

• Roehre

Sadly, it seems that the "one" that is "but-ed" is the very Serenade Op95 that Stan's looking for. (I notice that the conductor is the same as that on the BRILLIANT set - are these the same performances licensed out?)
                        Oops, the Grosse Vaterländische Ouvertüre is missing, and that's the work I "butted". Never realised the Serenade is not in this collection either
                        The Brilliant performances are identical with the Berlin Classics ones, as they were licensed out by the latter.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          Oops, the Grosse Vaterländische Ouvertüre is missing, and that's the work I "butted". Never realised the Serenade is not in this collection either
                          The Brilliant performances are identical with the Berlin Classics ones, as they were licensed out by the latter.
                          Thank you all for your assistance. If you don't know it the Reger Serenade for Orchestra, op. 95 is a splendid work with a marvellous slow movement. I highly recommend it but on the downside at over 40 minutes some may find it a touch overlong.

Comment

• Roehre

Thank you all for your assistance. If you don't know it the Reger Serenade for Orchestra, op. 95 is a splendid work with a marvellous slow movement. I highly recommend it but on the downside at over 40 minutes some may find it a touch overlong.
                            Just like the sinfonietta (a lesser composer proudly would have called this work a Symphony) it's Reger's modesty to call this work a Serenade.
                            compared with the rather heavily and counterpunctually overwrought Sinfonietta (Reger's first orchestral work) his gaining conducting experience shows its influence in the Serenade. Great work it is, though I prefer his later ones like the Romantische Suite op.125 or the neo-classical-avant-la-lettre Konzert im alten Stil op.123.

Comment

• Don Petter

I greatly Max Reger's Serenade for Orchestra, Op. 95 from 1905. My only recording of the Serenade, Op. 95 is Hermann Scherchen conducting the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie on CPO in 1960. I was wondering if anyone can suggest another recording that has improved sound quality?
                              Well, you've sparked my interest. I'm just downloading the Scherchen from Youtube to give it a go. (Being a cheapskate, I'll think about a paid-for better quality later.)

Comment

Working...
                              X