Neglected composers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once...

Klaus Huber (1924-) and Hans Huber (1852-1921) are Swiss composers.
    Nicolaus A Huber (1939-) and Klaus K Hübler (1956-) are German composers.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Listen carefully, I shall say this only once...

Klaus Huber (1924-) and Hans Huber (1852-1921) are Swiss composers.
      Nicolaus A Huber (1939-) and Klaus K Hübler (1956-) are German composers.
      Only one of whom supervised Brian Ferneyhough's studies in Germany in the late '60s.

Easy mistakes to make - I once heard a piece by Nicolaus A, thinking he was Klaus. I was impressed that someone with so completely different an aesthetic should be so encouraging to Ferneyhough's.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Actually though a large amount of Ashley's work is available on CD.
        Now that I have booked my place ('ticket'), I can safely encourage others here to attend Cafe OTO this Sunday (30th March) to hear and see a performance of Robert Ashley's Automatic Writing. Fortunately the ticket prices are the usual £10 on the door or £8 (with an 80p booking fee)) if bought online, rather than the £25 per evening paid by those who felt the need to attend last week's three Yoko Ono performances. A little bird tells me that the usual (and sometimes annoyingly disruptive) photographers were put off by the rights fees demanded by the diva's agent. I decided there were better things to do with £25.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

My nominations for neglected composers would include Ernő Dohnányi, Hans Pfitzner, Hans Werner Henze and Rodion Shchedrin. Focusing on British composers I find the most neglected are Bantock, Bax, Stanford and Malcolm Arnold. Although Vaughan Williams is often played it tends to be just small section of an output that I consider to be of an especially consistently high standard. I would love Delius to be played far more often than he is currently. Of the major composers in relation to their talent Mendelssohn seems the most neglected.
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 27-03-14, 16:32.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

I'll add Walter Piston. Many critics refer to him as an academic and are ignorant of his highly original and accessible music.

Comment

Working...
            X