Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

There are so many but Leighton is a good shout IMO.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      ....if you feel attracted to or inspired by one of the thousands of musics that can be heard, why shouldn't that involve an impulsion to study and try to understand it? - which might in turn involve some work before the fruits of the "inspiration" actually become audible.

Comment

• kea
        • Dec 2013

Indeed, but I think kea's post wasn't about such people, but about the attitude that such immersion is not only unnecessary but somehow uncool in an "academic" kind of way.
        Yes, this is basically what I was trying to say expressed more concisely.

As for "neglected" composers, a lot of the names that are brought up are in fact not all that neglected per se—not to pick on George Lloyd, but all of his symphonies have (along with much other music) been recorded on CD, whereas one would be hard-pressed to find a recording of even one of the symphonies of say Chris Dench.

Indeed the first examples that came to mind of composers whose music is genuinely neglected (in the sense of difficult to find, in any form) were modernists: Horatiu Radulescu, Robert Ashley, Vladimir Tarnopolski, Cornelius Cardew. Evan Johnson also, who's still young and has a relatively small catalogue so hopefully will become better known with time. Two known to Mr Barrett who are sufficiently obscure even I have only been able to hear one work by them apiece are Hans-Joachim Hespos and Klaus K. Hübler. I don't even know what the K stands for, he's that obscure.

Of course, modernist music is decidedly unfashionable nowadays, so the presence of several traditionalist composers not well served on record at all is perhaps more surprising: Hilding Rosenberg, Janis Ivanovs, Pal Kadosa, Roy Harris, etc. Or perhaps not, since their music is serious and passionate in an age that more values irony and detachment.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

great post Kea. ( to irony and detachment add a whole further list, of course.....)

Here is an interesting article discussing neglected works, and their possible routes to be heard.

More and more musicians are recording works by composers of the past you’ve never heard of. But is this wealth of important work actually making a dent in the listening habits of the concert-going public?

It might be interesting to consider examples of composers whose work has survived (relative) long term neglect and flourished later, whether during their life or afterwards. There are some very famous examples of course.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by kea View Post
            Robert Ashley
            Actually though a large amount of Ashley's work is available on CD.

Comment

• kea
              • Dec 2013

Actually though a large amount of Ashley's work is available on CD.
              So there is. I don't know how I managed to completely overlook Lovely Music.

Still, plenty of replacement names come to mind—La Monte Young (partly self-inflicted), Gottfried Michael Koenig, Rolf Riehm etc.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Still, plenty of replacement names come to mind—La Monte Young (partly self-inflicted), Gottfried Michael Koenig, Rolf Riehm etc.
                We need more endorsements.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  We need more endorsements.
                  I don't, I have six points already.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Essential listening IMV

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

I don't, I have six points already.
                      Nothing to be proud of (preens he with a clean licence - Ford knows how).

As to Bob Ashley, plenty of those CDs, plus a fair few LPs, and the DVDs of Perfect Lives, immediately to hand ear and eye here. Those who carp about the effusive use of adjectives by certain R3 presenters might like to try Ashley's In Sara, Mencken, Christ And Beethoven There Were Men And Women.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 14-03-14, 12:08. Reason: Added link to YouTube series.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Klaus K. Hübler
                        Klaus Huber, the Swiss composer (with umlaut, correct)?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Klaus K. Hübler
                          Klaus Huber, the Swiss composer (with umlaut, correct)?
                          More this chap, I think. The second "K" stands for Karl, I think you will find if you Google "Klaus Karl Hübler".
                          Last edited by Bryn; 14-03-14, 13:01.

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

The Swiss composer is Hans Huber.

I'd like to propose Torbjörn Lundquist (1920-2000), another largely unsung composer. Off-air recordings of several symphonies have surfaced recently; I found the Third, in a performance conducted by Peter Maag, quite riveting and very powerful stuff.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              More this chap, I think. The second "K" stands for Karl, I think you will find if you Google "Klaus Karl Hübler".
                              OK Bryn, thanks.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                                The Swiss composer is Hans Huber.
                                This was the Huber I was thinking of:

Music Documentary / 65 min / 2009The film explores methods, motivation and inspiration behind Klaus Huber's work, showing the composer in action and interact...

Comment

Working...
                                X