X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Op. XXXIX
    • Nov 2010

Rachmaninov and Elgar

It was interesting to read (on a primarily American board) a statement that compared the relative merits of Rachmaninov and Elgar with Bach and Telemann.

I don't think there can be any argument that Bach was a far greater composer than Telemann, but the implication here that (by comparison) Rachmaninov was far greater than Elgar?

Given American biases -and for that matter British biases- something isn't quite right here.

Any thoughts?
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
    It was interesting to read (on a primarily American board) a statement that compared the relative merits of Rachmaninov and Elgar with Bach and Telemann.

I don't think there can be any argument that Bach was a far greater composer than Telemann, but the implication here that (by comparison) Rachmaninov was far greater than Elgar?

Given American biases -and for that matter British biases- something isn't quite right here.

Any thoughts?
    It's a pointless comparison, like comparing a Jaguar, a Ford Fiesta and a Land Rover.

What do you want? Speed? Fuel Economy? Off-road capability?

For me, my musical preference would be dependant upon my mood at the time.
    I might feel the urge to hear something more basic - like Papa Haydn; or more challenging - like Henri Dutillieux.
    I don't understand why people on these message boards are continually trying to build musical league tables.

HS

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      It's a pointless comparison, like comparing a Jaguar, a Ford Fiesta and a Land Rover.

What do you want? Speed? Fuel Economy? Off-road capability?

For me, my musical preference would be dependant upon my mood at the time.
      I might feel the urge to hear something more basic - like Papa Haydn; or more challenging - like Henri Dutillieux.
      I don't understand why people on these message boards are continually trying to build musical league tables.

HS
      Very well said. The entire exercise is as ridiculous as it is ingrowing (the latter in the sense that it's intended for the purpose of fomenting largely valueless cut-and-thrust "arguments" between forum members that rest mainly on their personal preferences).
      Last edited by ahinton; 13-11-13, 09:49.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

I'm sure I'm often in the perfect mood to listen to the music of Anton Reicha, but would it not be fair to say that his contemporary, Beethoven, was a 'greater' composer ?

or is this received wisdom ? does it depend what we mean by great/greater ?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          I'm sure I'm often in the perfect mood to listen to the music of Anton Reicha, but would it not be fair to say that his contemporary, Beethoven, was a 'greater' composer ?

or is this received wisdom ? does it depend what we mean by great/greater ?
          Perhaps it's relevant that (probably?) even someone nowadays who likes Reicha and detests Beethoven might still be forced to concede - from knowledge of critical orthodoxy, historical influence and current public standing - that LvB is by far the greater composer?
          Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 13-11-13, 23:02.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
          X