• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Why does it apparently surprise you that the BPO sounds different under Abbado, Haitink and Rattle?
    I think you've misunderstood.

HS made what I consider to be unpleasant remarks about the musicians in the BPO, and the only benefit to them of Rattle's appointment (I suppose he may have his reasons).

I was merely contradicting, his reckless and pejorative generalisations about these superb professionals, whilst referring to my own concert-going experience.

This I tried to do it without being confrontational with him, especially as his post was, perhaps, cantankerous.

My expectation is the BPO will sound different with different conductors, and therefore I will not be surprised as you assumed I was.

If you are interested in this topic, you would be best advised to address your questions to HS. He believes that the musicians in the BPO are different - ".......If they bother to look at the conductor, it is either out of curiousity (sic )or politeness". That they sound different with different conductor, would be a surprise to him, given his comments.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I consider Sir Simon to be an inspirational conductor. I go to Berlin each year for a couple of the Berliner Philharmoniker concerts with Sir Simon at the helm and I cannot understand all the vitriol that he suffers. I also have the Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall so I get to see everyone of their Berlin concerts. It kind of reminds me of someone that I know who slags Lang Lang off without every having see him play or buy his recordings. But I appeciate that Rattle is not everyones cup of tea.

The late Gunter Wand can do no wrong for me. He came to the public's attention very late in life.

I'd add that he's an inspirational man.

And his willingness to programme works outside of the classical/romantic and "acceptable" 20th century pieces, is of utmost value (I hope many people will agree that we owe it to him that the late Nicholas Maw's masterpiece, Odyssey, is known to us - but one of many examples).

I was lucky enough to witness Gunter Wand perform in Bruckner and Schubert, and I mightily agree with you!

But I do stand by my previous expressed view, that on my experience of actual concerts (not listening to CDs from an armchair), the BPO and Rattle have less sparkle.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I think you've misunderstood.

HS made what I consider to be unpleasant remarks about the musicians in the BPO, and the only benefit to them of Rattle's appointment (I suppose he may have his reasons).

I was merely contradicting, his reckless and pejorative generalisations about these superb professionals, whilst referring to my own concert-going experience.

This I tried to do it without being confrontational with him, especially as his post was, perhaps, cantankerous.

My expectation is the BPO will sound different with different conductors, and therefore I will not be surprised as you assumed I was.

If you are interested in this topic, you would be best advised to address your questions to HS. He believes that the musicians in the BPO are different - ".......If they bother to look at the conductor, it is either out of curiousity (sic )or politeness". That they sound different with different conductor, would be a surprise to him, given his comments.
        Thank you for your considered and considerate reply.

Comment

Working...
        X