X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattbod
    • Jun 2024

Catherine Bott's new Classic FM Show

Flashes of nostalgia for her old and already missed slot on the EMS with this first show on Historical performance practice. I found it pleasantly free of maddening adverts and a nice selection of music. However I felt Catherine valiantly tried to add gravitas to a rather patronising script. I will stick with the show for now but what is the view from the rest of you (apart from the awful compression that is!)
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Not available yet On Demand, but hopefully will be:

Meuh ... judging by the comments from CFM listeners there seem to be a lot of gaps in the programmes available.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Did you find out how Beethoven could compose music when he was deaf ?
      (I imagined what my fish pie would taste like this evening, amazing )

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Ahem: it's here now.

But beware - it starts with about half an hour (well it seemed that long) of ads and trails (there is a slider to whizz through them). Bit late to cope with it at the moment, so I'll try again tomorrow.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mattbod

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          Did you find out how Beethoven could compose music when he was deaf ?
          (I imagined what my fish pie would taste like this evening, amazing )

Hahahahaha It was not that bad. The only thing that was really simplistic was when she said pianos make their sound with hammers on strings and harpsichords pluck the strings. To be honest it is nice listening to Catherine and I did so out of support as I am a fan. However it is not pitched at the likes of Early Music Show listeners who tend to be connoisseurs

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mattbod View Post
            harpsichords pluck the strings.
            Did she remember to mention employing pheasant pluckers?

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Hahahahaha It was not that bad. The only thing that was really simplistic was when she said pianos make their sound with hammers on strings and harpsichords pluck the strings.
              Surely not ?
              I always feed my piano with Hay

(the La Monte way ........)

Comment

• Mattbod

Hmmm well you know what really put me off Classic FM? I emailed their request show asking for Karl-Heinz Stockhausen's Klavierstuck X but got no reply. I then wrote and said if they were committed to educating the general public into the exciting world of classical music they should put on a show called "Twelve Tone Hour" maybe in association with Otex eardrops but alas nothing came of that either

Comment

• Mattbod

In all seriousness I have stopped listening. The first show was not bad as there was shades of nostalgia being devoted to Early Music but I don't listen anymore. I am afraid it is not a show that will have Catherine's old audience flocking....she has indeed sold out to dumbing down :/

Comment

• John Wright
                    • Mar 2007

I emailed their request show asking for Karl-Heinz Stockhausen's Klavierstuck X but got no reply. I then wrote and said if they were committed to educating the general public into the exciting world of classical music they should put on a show called "Twelve Tone Hour" (
                    Yeah but what you are asking for is not 'classical' music. Your idea won't get played, you've called it Twelve Tone so by definition it's not classical music old grey whistle test innit
                    - - -

John W

Comment

• Mattbod

[QUOTE=John Wright;351255]Yeah but what you are asking for is not 'classical' music. Your idea won't get played, you've called it Twelve Tone so by definition it's not classical music old grey whistle test innit[/QUOTE

That was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek...

Comment

• amateur51

Hmmm well you know what really put me off Classic FM? I emailed their request show asking for Karl-Heinz Stockhausen's Klavierstuck X but got no reply. I then wrote and said if they were committed to educating the general public into the exciting world of classical music they should put on a show called "Twelve Tone Hour" maybe in association with Otex eardrops but alas nothing came of that either
                        Oh how I'd love to be a fly on the wall at CFM for that one

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Oh how I'd love to be a fly on the wall at CFM for that one
                          They were planning apparently to have a concert of Katherine Jenkins and Andrea Bocelli singing Puccini arrangements with Andre Rieu at the violin sponsored by Lyle's Golden Syrup .

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

I really do not see why CFM should be laughed at for doing exactly what it says it is doing. It has (I assume) never offered anything other than pleasant, enjoyable, and light classical music listening. As I said on another thread, Catherine is now talking to beginners. It’s not advanced listeners’ place to walk in and laugh at what’s going on.

No matter how good Lucie’s programmes are, weekends are not the same without Catherine’s Early Music Show but that doesn’t give us an excuse to laugh at CFM. It’s Radio3 that should be laughed at for losing an excellent presenter like Catherine.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                              I really do not see why CFM should be laughed at for doing exactly what it says it is doing. It has (I assume) never offered anything other than pleasant, enjoyable, and light classical music listening. As I said on another thread, Catherine is now talking to beginners. It’s not advanced listeners’ place to walk in and laugh at what’s going on.

No matter how good Lucie’s programmes are, weekends are not the same without Catherine’s Early Music Show but that doesn’t give us an excuse to laugh at CFM. It’s Radio3 that should be laughed at for losing an excellent presenter like Catherine.
                              Superbly put, sir. I wish Catherine all the best, as do many on here.
                              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                              X