X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

The great codas

I was extremely taken with JLW's description of the finale in DSCH7: "the plunge into the coda, those almost hysterical string figurations and then - THAT MOMENT, as those snarling firebird fanfares rise, twice, against the tension, bursting for release..."

It made me wonder about other great codas. I'll start with a few:

1. The end of the first movement of Bruckner 9. The music all but fizzles-out but starts to build again with horns and strings and then terrifying trumpets - I once thought my heart was going to stop during a glorious BBC SO/Wand performance at the RFH (*)

2. The glorious coda at the end of the finale of Bruckner 5 - particularly that moment where time seems to stop as the chorale theme reappears half speed (**)

3. The moment at the end of Berwald's Sinfonie sérieuse where we reach the home key of G minor and a hooligan bass trombonist (sometimes doubled by naughty conductors) comes crashing in on an E-flat. Perhaps an early predecessor of what DSCH does at the end of the 7th or Stravinsky at the end of the Firebird?

* Sadly the fiddles messed-up the start of the final Adagio, so no chance of a CD release
    ** Less than half speed with Jochum as per R Simpson's book
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Bruckner was particularly good at Codas - the ends of the First and Second movements of the Sixth; the slow movements of the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth; the Finales (the Coda of the finale of the Fourth is the best thing in the whole work): superb.

Equally wonderful, completely different, are the "Epilogues" to the RVW Symphonies. And, somewhere between the two, the coda that ends Elgar's Second Symphony. (If it's Barbirolli's Live recording with the Hallé, add the coda of the slow movement of the First Symphony, too. )
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Equally wonderful, completely different, are the "Epilogues" to the RVW Symphonies. And, somewhere between the two, the coda that ends Elgar's Second Symphony. (If it's Barbirolli's Live recording with the Hallé, add the coda of the slow movement of the First Symphony, too. )
      Carrrying on up the epilogues, I love Bax's epilogues particularly in his 3rd and 6th Symphonies.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

The chromatic bass line at the end of the first movement of Beethoven's 9th. Chilling, æthereal, cosmic, funereal.
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

add the coda of the slow movement of the First Symphony, too. )
          Oh yes, am getting shivers. That said, anyone who knows their choral music cannot help but hear the words "how constant are the hills" (as set by Ireland) to the lovely violin phrase just before the brass come in!

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
            Oh yes, am getting shivers. That said, anyone who knows their choral music cannot help but hear the words "how constant are the hills" (as set by Ireland) to the lovely violin phrase just before the brass come in!
            Yes, & Ireland's The Hills is a lovely piece to sing and such a nice tribute to Britain's monarchy as our country's steadfast bedrock.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              The chromatic bass line at the end of the first movement of Beethoven's 9th. Chilling, æthereal, cosmic, funereal.
              Ooohh, yes! - a real Promethean glower to those bars. I wouldn't want to meet them on a dark night on my own.

Welcome back, by the way, Thropplenoggin - hope all is well with you.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Ooohh, yes! - a real Promethean glower to those bars. I wouldn't want to meet them on a dark night on my own.

Thank you, FHG. Life has been made infinitely more tolerable by the bargain purchase of Uchida's Mozart sonatas. Oh, and mines a pint of porter.
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Where do you (or they) start...or finish? Not all the best codas are actually called codas...

GLORIOUS UPROARIOUS:
                  Roussel 3, Dvorak 6, Hindemith Symphony in E Flat (!!!)...

SWAGGER AND PUNCH:
                  Nielsen 2, Szymanowski 4, Kurt Weill 2, Britten Piano Concerto... flipsided with Prokofiev 6...

POETIC:
                  Honegger 3, Dutilleux 1, Ravel Valses Nobles, Britten Violin Concerto, Beethoven 9 (adagio)...

...The digested choice...HAS to be Honegger 3, shafts of light and birdsong among the smoking ruins...

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

Welcome back, from me too, Thropplenoggin . Hope I don't irritate you as much this time around.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                      Late Member
                      • Sep 2012

Bruckner was particularly good at Codas - the ends of the First and Second movements of the Sixth; the slow movements of the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth; the Finales (the Coda of the finale of the Fourth is the best thing in the whole work): superb.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        Thank you, FHG. Life has been made infinitely more tolerable by the bargain purchase of Uchida's Mozart sonatas. Oh, and mines a pint of porter.
                        that was some session, @Noggo.......

good to see you back. Unfortunately, in your absence, music seems to have got more both complicated and greater in quantity.
                        So it goes, work to do...........
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• edashtav
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Where do you (or they) start...or finish? Not all the best codas are actually called codas...

GLORIOUS UPROARIOUS:
                          Roussel 3, Dvorak 6, Hindemith Symphony in E Flat (!!!)...

SWAGGER AND PUNCH:
                          Nielsen 2, Szymanowski 4, Kurt Weill 2, Britten Piano Concerto... flipsided with Prokofiev 6...

POETIC:
                          Honegger 3, Dutilleux 1, Ravel Valses Nobles, Britten Violin Concerto, Beethoven 9 (adagio)...

...The digested choice...HAS to be Honegger 3, shafts of light and birdsong among the smoking ruins...
                          A great selection, Jayne!

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Honegger 3

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Britten Violin Concerto
                              - for some reason, it hadn't occured to me to think outside the "Symphony" envelope. Now that I have -

Bach: Goldberg Variations; Mozart: Sonata for Two Pianos K448 (Second movt); Stockhausen: Mantra.

And as for the end of Mahler's Ninth ...

Comment

Working...
                              X