Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    It's a bit like paying to see The Stones and getting a tribute band instead.

Frankly I would be very surprised if, on application, a promoter did not refund the full price of admission.
    I did not hear a word of complaint at the Sheldonian concert.

Comment

• Zucchini
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
      To my surprise Nelsons did show up on Sunday and conduct Elektra (no less) at Covent Garden.
      He withdrew from last night and this Sat though.

Adding in last Fri in Oxford and your ROH Sun he was booked for 6 gruelling programmes in 8 days. Too much, surely.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        I did not hear a word of complaint at the Sheldonian concert.
        I don't think that invalidates the point of principle though, wouldn't you agree?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          I don't think that invalidates the point of principle though, wouldn't you agree?
          Of course. I'm not sure if Music at Oxford gave any advance notice. The first I knew was when I opened the programme after taking my seat and an amendment sheet fell out. I did not see an announcement at the entrance. Perhaps those who had booked online received an email; I had booked by phone months ago.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

When you see the workloads of other conductors, you think my goodness. I( mean there's one to point out, Valery Gergiev's!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              When you see the workloads of other conductors, you think my goodness. I( mean there's one to point out, Valery Gergiev's!!

Apparently Gergiev conducted a pretty astonishing 261 performances during 2012/13, including 202 with the Mariinsky Orchestra.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

I wonder what prompts conductors to behave like this, compromising their health, family life and artistic integrity? It can't be money can it?

This is one reason why I greatly admire Simon Rattle who has eschewed the jet-setting and stayed with his orchestras for long periods. To my way of thinking, this led to greater artistic vision in building a first-rate ensemble, excellent programmes and re-vitalising audiences.

Give me the Rattle route over the Gergiev any day.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                X