• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Schumann revelation: Gesänge der Frühe for piano

I must have heard Schumann's five Gesänge der Frühe (Dawn Songs) but never really noticed them...

...they've come alive in Mitsuko Uchida's new recording

Especially the first one. I've listened to samples of a few other performance (e.g. Pollini) and they seem prosaic compared with MU who brings it alive, and makes it (and the others) seem as elusive and pungent as Fauré Nocturnes.

A princely 79p buys you No 1 here:

I would endorse entirely the user reviews (which for some reason only appear on the CD page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schumann-Min...chida+schumann )

And because it seemed technically not too bad, I looked for the score - the whole thing is downloadable free on this link (the picture of the page of music you see is the whole of No. 1 - click to see bigger):

So I've been spending time this weekend starting to learn it too! And thereby tripling my respect for MU's phrasing and touch...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I must have heard Schumann's five Gesänge der Frühe (Dawn Songs) but never really noticed them...

So I've been spending time this weekend starting to learn No 1! : And thereby tripling my respect for MU's phrasing and touch...
    Well done, sir.

Comment

• Roehre

Hear, hear: a "late" Schumann work (op.133): less exuberant and in some aspects less adventurous than his earlier works, but certainly as expressive, exploratory and innovative.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

I got to know Op 133 quite recently. Having read a Schumann biography, I found myself plugging some gaps in my collection and bought a recording of it by Michael Endres. It also contained the so-called Geistervariationen WoO 24. Clara wrote in her diary about the harrowing events leading to what became his last composition before his mind went:

Schumann got up in the night and noted down a theme which angels had sung to him. By the next morning these had changed into the voices of demons, calling him a sinner and trying to throw him into Hell. He was screaming in pain, saying that tigers and hyenas were attacking him.

By the final 5th variation, this innocent, haunting theme has got stuck in uncontrollable dissonance.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Interesting how often hymn-like themes inspire late Schumann...

Would also recommend the Phantasiestucke Op. 111 (not to be confused with the earlier, more extrovert Fantasiestucke): spectral; fleeting visions imbued with Schumann's special sense of fantasy; and

the unpublished, posthumous Variations on an Original Theme in E flat; another haunting, haunted piece which tries to make sense out of the chaos of Schumann's disintegrating mental condition.

Comment

• amateur51

I posted about these pieces a while ago after hearing Dame Mitsuko performing them in concert at the Royal Festival Hall and i agree with all the positive things said about them and her performance.

Equally moving, I greatly enjoyed the performances given by Eric Le Sage in his bargain multi-CD set of Schumann's piano works.

I wonder what they would sound like on a period instrument.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-10-13, 15:10. Reason: wise gender change

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Good one, Cali. I've had (and neglected) these rather unusual pieces over several decades on LP played by Karl Engel.
              A chance to re-visit.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I posted about these pieces a while ago after hearing Dame Mitsuko performing them in concert at the Royal Festival Hall and i agree with all the positive things said about them and her performance

Ah! I'd forgotten you heard her do them, lucky you !

Just found your post, and that pastoral is a fan too (also Black Swan on another thread)

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                I'm listening to Mitsuko Uchida's new Schumann cd. It's the Waldszenen, Piano sonata no. 2 and the Gesange der Fruhe. Gorgeous playing in music I don't know well if at all.
                Dame Mitsuko played all these pieces, I think, in her RFH recital earlier in the year. Her performance of the Gesänge der Frühe were the first time I had heard these very late pieces, and most haunting they are too

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I have two CDs from the Nimbus complete Schumann piano works (picked up s/h) by the rather little heard-of(?) Argentine pianist Daniel Levy. Muscular stuff. Especially the Davidsbündlertänze. Also has the Gesänge, Waldszenen and Kinderszenen.

I'm an unrepentant enthusiast for Schumann's chamber works - the few that I know - especially these piano works.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I'm an unrepentant enthusiast for Schumann's chamber works - the few that I know - especially these piano works.
                    What's to repent? His Piano Music is his finest body of work (IMO) and the Songs and Chamber Music aren't far behind. An astonishing composer - and thanks to Cali for mentioning works of his that I don't think I've ever heard. (Cracking post from gurnemanz, too )
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      thanks to Cali for mentioning works of his that I don't think I've ever heard. (Cracking post from gurnemanz, too )
                      and you are welcome. Please do try and hear MU in these pieces - splash 79p on Op. 133 No 1 without delay via the first link in #1 above, would be my advice!

Very Brahmsian... Slow movement of Brahms PC #1 anyone? (Oh! going to hear Ms Grimaud play that on Thursday *suddenly remembers* )

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

Schumann/Uchida - disc of the week

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          Schumann/Uchida - disc of the week
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03cn80t
                          Thanks m. Try before you buy!

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Trouble with these threads is that you always discover something that ISN'T in that "complete" box set that you bought.......

good thread though.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

This is an extraordinarily wonderful record . I seem to find myself playing it at least a couple of times a week about this time of night. Rather less familiar than much Schumann but haunting , magical music played by a truly great pianist.

My three favourite living pianists are all women of some experience =Argerich,Pires and Uchida

Comment

Working...
                              X