can I have a first-to-mind, off-the-cuff verdict on your favourite: Purcell piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arthroceph
    • Oct 2012

can I have a first-to-mind, off-the-cuff verdict on your favourite: Purcell piece?

My - unfairly you may say - go first, Fary Queen "Hush No More". Chilling and thrilling, all in one!
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Dido's Lament. Wonderful ground bass.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

'Lord, what is man?' Maybe because it was on one of my first Janet Baker records

Something of an earworm too. Damn, it's playing in my head now...
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Hitch
        • Nov 2010

Not necessarily my favourite Purcell, but one that nearly always barges in: If Music be the Food of Love, Z379b. Don't blame me if you can't get it out of your head.

Comment

• hedgehog

The Fantasias for strings ...... oh just one? Then the Fantasia upon a ground, for 3 violins (or recorders) & continuo in D major /F major, Z. 731

Cheers me up every time!

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

A concert performance of 'King Arthur' at the RAH in [probably] the 1950/60s conducted by Boult.

Once heard, never forgotten, particularly 'Song of the cold people' ??

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Tricky to be honest, as several spring to mind - slowly! But which was the first?

Dido's Lament.
              Sailor's chorus from Dido and Aeneas
              The "tune" from Britten's YPGTTO - from Abdelazar I think.

I don't want to hear DIdo lamenting everyday, so that gives a choice between Purcell's Rondeau and the chorus. Maybe joint first - equally cheerful.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

The Funeral Sentences.

And Come ye Sons of Art especially the counter-tenor duet Sound the Trumpet. (Recorded by Alfred Deller and John Whitworth, it was the first Purcell I ever heard, I think.)

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

First to mind was the obvious one, Dido's Lament, surely one of the great tunes of the world.

It was closely followed by songs learnt when I was very young - Fairest Isle and Nymphs and Shepherds.

Funeral Music for Queen Mary.

And for fun, The Knotting Song and There's Not a Swain on the Plain, and Man is for the Woman Made (especially fun when performed by Pears and Britten).

Oh, and then there's If Music be the Food of Love and I Attempt from Love's Sickness to Fly.

One piece, did you say? Impossible.
                  Last edited by Mary Chambers; 25-09-13, 08:36. Reason: To add another piece and comment.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

Peter Sellers's Trumpet Volunteer from 1958:

Interview with rock star Tommy Iron. Off the 1958 10" LP 'The Best Of Sellers'

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

(Checking that Deller and Whitworth really did record together, I find that John died in July this year.)

Last edited by jean; 25-09-13, 09:41.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

And Come ye Sons of Art especially the counter-tenor duet Sound the Trumpet.
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Definitely Nymphs and Shepherds. It was this that set me on the road to a musical career, when my primary school teacher (who had been on the famous Manchester Children's Choir recording) played it to us in 1956.

Against all advice, I reintroduced it to secondary school choirs in the 80's and 90's. They sang it like angels. Even the sceptical music-advisor-cum-ofsted-inspector had to concede that they enjoyed singing it.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

The harpsichord suites...especially in Richard Egarr's hands.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

The Funeral Sentences was my first thought, & then I glimpsed pastoralguy's response (#2) & thought 'oh, yes, umm ..'

Comment

Working...
                              X