Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ruhevoll

Originally posted by Russ View Post
    glauque is a new word to me (definition?), but the Taxi Driver theme was believe it or not the incidental music played on Radio London's breakfast show many moons ago. (With a very young Fi Glover.)

Russ

'Shabby' Hmm. I'd wager the French would say it's a bit grimier and grimmer than that.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

There's a series starting on BBC 4 at 9pm tonight 'Sound of Cinema : the Music That Made The Movies', part 1 of 3 introduced by Neil Brand in which he celebrates the art of the film soundtrack by exploring the work of movie composers --

Providing it's isn't designed to please the short attention span brigade it might be worth a look.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

From that list I'd have to go for Psycho. I saw it first when we had it as a school film one Saturday evening, though I'm not quite sure how it got past the "censors"!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          glauque is a new word to me (definition?)

It's a sort of more Gothic and threatening version of louche - as Ruhevoll says, a bit grimmer than 'shabby' - and can be said of a person or a film, an atmosphere or a situation. 'Sordid' and 'Lugubrious' come into it somewhere...

( "glauque sert désormais à qualifier – dans la langue jeune et verte, notamment – ce qui est trouble, lugubre, sordide, louche (Un film d'horreur particulièrement glauque). " )
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

So, it derives from glaucoma, presumably?
            Edit: I voted for The Third Man, just to be perverse and skew the results!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              So, it derives from glaucoma, presumably?
              Edit: I voted for The Third Man, just to be perverse and skew the results!

The story of 'glauque' is described in the link below as an "astonishing semantic slide"... from glaukos meaning a pale blue/grey (whence the eye-related meaning) to its current different meaning. But we digress

http://parler-francais.eklablog.com/glauque-a49145832

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

The Early Music Show
                Sound of Cinema: A-Z of Baroque at the Box Office
                Duration: 58 minutes
                First broadcast: Saturday 14 September 2013
                Catherine Bott gives us a whistle-stop A-Z tour of how early music has been featured in mainstream films to both poignant and ironic effect; from Allegri and Albinoni to Zadok and Zoolander.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  I voted for The Third Man, just to be perverse and skew the results!
                  That makes two of us.

It's a fairly terrible list.

Some of the best film music was composed by Philip Greene, though his "League of Gentlemen" score sounds heavily indebted to Wagner's Siegfried Idyll

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    For goodness sake, where's the Jungle Book?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHWSe1cNpKI
                    O God yes!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                      • Nov 2010

This list is a complete nonsense. For one thing, it confuses its genres. West Side Story, for example, is not a film score in the true sense. Nor is Grease. Equally, Apocalypse Now and Billy Elliot are, at best, adapted scores with some original elements.

Also, with the Exception of The Third Man, this lists assumes that film music only began in 1960. Bespoke film music was being composed long before the development of the talkies.

I'd frankly love to walk in to Roger Wright's office and tear the list up in front of him and tell him to stop wasting our time.

So, Erich Korngold, Franz Waxman, Max Steiner, Victor Young, Dmitiri Tiomkin, Alfred Newman, Alex North, Ernest Gold, Henry Mancini, Andre Previn, Elmer Bernstein, Malcom Arnold, William Walton, Muir Mathieson, Georges Auric, Michel Legrand, John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, to name but a few, count for nothing. Even in more recent times there's no nod to the likes of Danny Elfmann, Hans Zimmer, Michael Nyman etc.

Indeed, a number of these composers have warranted inclusion as Composers of the Week on Radio 3.

Quite a pathetic exercise.

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                        This list is a complete nonsense. For one thing, it confuses its genres. West Side Story, for example, is not a film score in the true sense. Nor is Grease. Equally, Apocalypse Now and Billy Elliot are, at best, adapted scores with some original elements.

Also, with the Exception of The Third Man, this lists assumes that film music only began in 1960. Bespoke film music was being composed long before the development of the talkies.

I'd frankly love to walk in to Roger Wright's office and tear the list up in front of him and tell him to stop wasting our time.

So, Erich Korngold, Franz Waxman, Max Steiner, Victor Young, Dmitiri Tiomkin, Alfred Newman, Alex North, Ernest Gold, Henry Mancini, Andre Previn, Elmer Bernstein, Malcom Arnold, William Walton, Muir Mathieson, Georges Auric, Michel Legrand, John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith, to name but a few, count for nothing. Even in more recent times there's no nod to the likes of Danny Elfmann, Hans Zimmer, Michael Nyman etc.

Indeed, a number of these composers have warranted inclusion as Composers of the Week on Radio 3.

Quite a pathetic exercise.
                        These are smoooooooooth film score classics

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          The Early Music Show
                          Sound of Cinema: A-Z of Baroque at the Box Office
                          Duration: 58 minutes
                          First broadcast: Saturday 14 September 2013
                          Catherine Bott gives us a whistle-stop A-Z tour of how early music has been featured in mainstream films to both poignant and ironic effect; from Allegri and Albinoni to Zadok and Zoolander.

Barry Lyndon.

Comment

• scottycelt

Ach, it was this 19th Century genius who started it all ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ruhevoll View Post
                              Barry Lyndon.
                              What a curious film that is. I at last acquired it on blu-ray not long ago... those vistas opening up are intoxicating, but Ryan O'Neal... However that's for another thread... yes, lush non-HIPP Handel to open and close and all sorts in between...

Comment

Working...
                              X