• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    We could all text our 'appreciation' of the filminfestation to 83111, of course. Would be good to get our point across.
    I just did...

Made a couple of points in fact
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      It gets worse. Just looked at the online schedule - we've got another TWO weeks of it!

It's always been down for 3 weeks, Anna.

They've already had Hermann's 'Vertigo' music on 3 times... First time, ok, nice to hear it in isolation. Third time: what trite repetitive stuff....
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

It's always been down for 3 weeks, Anna.

They've already had Hermann's 'Vertigo' music on 3 times... First time, ok, nice to hear it in isolation. Third time: what trite repetitive stuff....
        Oh, I hadn't realised it was for three weeks <red face> - and I swear Breakfast had If I were a rich man from Fiddler two days in a row!! Have you listened to Breakfast this week? - I'm afraid I've gone back to R4 and Today

Comment

• Resurrection Man

It gets worse. Just looked at the online schedule - we've got another TWO weeks of it!
          Well, 26 letters in the alphabet....that's three weeks by my reckoning. Oh bliss. Oh rapture. I used to switch over to R3 in the morning from my daily dose of Radio 4 Today when Thought For The Day and the sports news came on. I don't even do that now preferring to endure sporty stuff rather than more drivel.

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            Well, 26 letters in the alphabet....that's three weeks by my reckoning. Oh bliss. Oh rapture. I used to switch over to R3 in the morning from my daily dose of Radio 4 Today when Thought For The Day and the sports news came on. I don't even do that now preferring to endure sporty stuff rather than more drivel.
            I'm sure I a line in Revelations about this being one of the Signs of the Apocalypse. The fourth horseman comes riding in...accompanied by Rossini's 'Lone Ranger' on Radio 3.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ruhevoll View Post
              I'm sure I a line in Revelations about this being one of the Signs of the Apocalypse. The fourth horseman comes riding in...accompanied by Rossini's 'Lone Ranger' on Radio 3.
              Yes, it was amazingly prescient of Rossini to write that Lone Ranger overture.

I have added a comment on the R3 facebook page anent films. I wonder if it will be removed.

This may have been commented on before, but I got round last night to watching Monday's U. Challenge. There are no prizes for guessing the theme of the programme's music question this week. Was it just a coincidence?

I also note that according to the schedules, we are to get a new RVW work next Friday - Sinfonia Antarctica (sic)

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

... I was going to say I wonder who they think they're broadcasting to ..... it's pretty obvious it's not their loyal listeners - soon no longer to be loyal I think. ..
                Have you just realised that the intention is to dispense with the old 'loyal' listeners - too few of them - whereas a slice of the R2/CFm listeners will both be more numerous and less critical as long as they are not required to think or listen to anything out of their comfort zone. R3 is effectively dead.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  .... R3 is effectively dead.
                  I am afraid so. I saw this vehicle taking it away last week.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Monster, RM.

Edit: perhaps its to make folk feel guilty for moaning about the Schubertathon.

Come on, own up......
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Rue Dubac
                      • Mar 2013

I can usually tolerate a bit of musical wallpaper, but Saturday Classics yesterday just got worse and worse - for two hours! And guess what - Vertigo again! Perhaps they are trying to induce it in the listener? Who needs to hear My Fair Lady or West Side Story yet again? And the music in those cases was not even written for the films. Nothing against either, enjoyed both in the past, but what is the point? The programme proved for me that, as someone above pointed out, very little film music can stand alone. It needs the images for which it was written. Most is either schmaltz or bombast. It will have to be R4 for next two weeks...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I am not listening much to Radio 3 at the moment. precisely because of this wretched Fil Season. After this week, I be glad to get some proper listening in! Albeit, time permitting!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I am not listening much to Radio 3 at the moment. precisely because of this wretched Fil Season. After this week, I be glad to get some proper listening in! Albeit, time permitting!
                          Same here, Bbm. Following suggestions from fellow Forumistas, I've been listening to bits from Through the Night on the i-Player, instead. Proper Radio.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Oliver

I'm reminded of Alexander Pope.
                            "Between excess and famine lies a mean...."
                            Perhaps Radio 3 should think about this; I didn't like the weekends devoted to a single , great composer. But weeks dominated by third-rate music are unbearable, even if there are occasional gems.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Except that I have neither the patience nor interest to endure hours of musical insignificance and drossy wallpaper to find 'gems'.

I cannot get over how unbelievably rash and ill-advised this whole project is for R3. R2 and just about R4, yes, I can see they might well have mileage out of ti as well as the TV channels, but Radio 3.......??

Sorry no.

Judging by the Forum threads, neither can a lot of our regular posters.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Same here, Bbm. Following suggestions from fellow Forumistas, I've been listening to bits from Through the Night on the i-Player, instead. Proper Radio.
                                Hmmm, sounds like the only proper programme on Radio 3!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X