• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Bossa Nova on R4

This was a really ecxellent programme (1130 Tuesday 10th) outlining the rise of the Bossa Nova in Brazil. The presenters were actually singing to explain the rhythmic and harmonic features. I was fascinated.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    This was a really ecxellent programme (1130 Tuesday 10th) outlining the rise of the Bossa Nova in Brazil. The presenters were actually singing to explain the rhythmic and harmonic features. I was fascinated.
    Thanks ardcarp...didn't notice that...I'll be heading for a listen

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Ah… Days when I listened to nothing but Getz/Gilberto (remember this?)

or AC Jobim’s Wave… but I was completely unaware of anything like this at the time.

But just as bossa hit big globally and The Girl from Ipanema reached the top of the American charts, the scene was shaken to its core at home with the deposal of the left wing civilian government and the arrival of a military regime, backed by the United States. At first censorship was light but by 1968 the junta had drifted into open repression and many musicians were arrested or exiled. Bossa nova - its serenity and preoccupation with sun, the sea and love - suddenly seemed out of touch with these darker times.

I shall certainly listen to it.
      Singer Monica Vasconcelos explores the musical and political story of bossa nova.

[ed.] and this came a little later
      Last edited by doversoul1; 10-09-13, 16:40.

Comment

• Rue Dubac
        • Mar 2013

I was fascinated by the way they showed how translating the words of a song into English did not really work; the different stresses changed the rhythm - subtly, but enough. I wonder if this - as well as different vowel sounds etc. - is why I find opera (to hell with the story!) and lieder always sound better in original language? They also pointed out that most of the original bossa nova musicians had had classical training which influenced their harmonies. As said above, the really good thing was they showed, with examples, what they meant.

Comment

Working...
        X