X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Beethoven Piano Sonatas--Jonathan Biss on Coursera

I started a course on Coursera, Bis discussing Beethoven. I don't know if it is to late to register as it started yesterday but I'm finding Bis to be highly enjoyable--and he hasn't played a note yet.
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Biss

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
      Biss
      Encore

Comment

• Pianoman
        • Jan 2013

Well worth reading is Biss's first fully-commissioned Kindle ebook single 'Beethoven's Shadow', where he discussed his approach to recording the sonatas, plus his time studying with Leon Fleisher. He's since followed it up with one on Schumann with the rather nice title 'A Pianist under the Influence' - both are only £1.49 each and very intelligently written.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

This week's lecture was on Op. 7. FAscinating. I listened to several recordings in my collection and decided that none, except Schnabel, were really satisfactory. Then I bought Brattigan. He nails it, particularly the last movement. The fortissimo explosion in IV seems much more appropriate on a fortepiano than on a Steinway. The older instrument is stretched to the limits and the strain is palpable. Listening to Claudio Arrau play the same music sounds like a Rolls Royce revving up to enough speed to leave the driveway.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            This week's lecture was on Op. 7. FAscinating. I listened to several recordings in my collection and decided that none, except Schnabel, were really satisfactory. Then I bought Brattigan. He nails it, particularly the last movement. The fortissimo explosion in IV seems much more appropriate on a fortepiano than on a Steinway. The older instrument is stretched to the limits and the strain is palpable. Listening to Claudio Arrau play the same music sounds like a Rolls Royce revving up to enough speed to leave the driveway.
            Real insight there, Richard! Thank you.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

I think the coursera course with Jonathan Biss is about to start up again - so maybe I'll have another go.

Offered by Curtis Institute of Music. Our relationship to Beethoven is a deep and paradoxical one. For many musicians, he represents a kind ... Enroll for free.

Partly this is prompted by discovering a pianist I'd not heard of this morning - Elisso Bolkvadze, who is a Georgian pianist and not terribly well known in these parts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisso_Bolkvadze

One of her performances of a Mozart sonata stood out for me, though in fact when I turned to her Beethoven my view changed slightly. Her recording of Beethoven's 3rd sonata in C, dedicated to Haydn is let down somewhat by the recording, and the first movement seemed rushed and uneven on first hearing. Perhaps overall however it is the recording which lets this performance down. The piano sounds a bit honky-tonk, though it could be a recording fault (wow?). She clearly demonstrates a rather formidable technique which allows her to rush where it is perhaps not necessary.

Her performance of the Tempest sonata No 17 in D minor is rather good - but the piano tone is still problematic.

There is another Georgian pianist of note with a similar name -
              Eliso Virsaldze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliso_Virsaladze - I haven't heard any of her performances yet.

I'm not sure that I'll succeed any better with the Jonathan Biss course than earlier - but I really will try to find the time this time around.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I think the coursera course with Jonathan Biss is about to start up again - so maybe I'll have another go.

Offered by Curtis Institute of Music. Our relationship to Beethoven is a deep and paradoxical one. For many musicians, he represents a kind ... Enroll for free.

Partly this is prompted by discovering a pianist I'd not heard of this morning - Elisso Bolkvadze, who is a Georgian pianist and not terribly well known in these parts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisso_Bolkvadze

One of her performances of a Mozart sonata stood out for me, though in fact when I turned to her Beethoven my view changed slightly. Her recording of Beethoven's 3rd sonata in C, dedicated to Haydn is let down somewhat by the recording, and the first movement seemed rushed and uneven on first hearing. Perhaps overall however it is the recording which lets this performance down. The piano sounds a bit honky-tonk, though it could be a recording fault (wow?). She clearly demonstrates a rather formidable technique which allows her to rush where it is perhaps not necessary.

Her performance of the Tempest sonata No 17 in D minor is rather good - but the piano tone is still problematic.

There is another Georgian pianist of note with a similar name -
                Eliso Virsaldze - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliso_Virsaladze - I haven't heard any of her performances yet.

I'm not sure that I'll succeed any better with the Jonathan Biss course than earlier - but I really will try to find the time this time around.
                I'm glad to see you trying the Biss course again. What was the problem that you had with it on the first go around?

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  I'm glad to see you trying the Biss course again. What was the problem that you had with it on the first go around?
                  I started late, and just didn't have any time. I should have more time to do the reading and work on this occasion. I particularly noted that you enjoyed it last time.

Have you tried any of the other coursera offerings? In theory, since I gave up full time work last year I should have more time, but in fact the opposite seems to be the case. So much so that from time to time I wonder if I should look for work again.
                  Still, my plan to get to grips with Einstein's general theory are gradually kicking in. I've been refreshing my knowledge and understanding of special relativity, and have been surprised at some of the neat proofs, but the general theory is somewhat harder, and I figure that most of us have about as much belief in and understanding of it as a belief in the existence of Antarctica. We know it's there because people say so, and sometimes we see it on TV. For relativity it's the acceptance of other people's belief in it, plus the assertion that sat navs wouldn't work properly without it which gives it plausibility. I prefer, if possible, to work through the reasoning myself.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    I started late, and just didn't have any time. I should have more time to do the reading and work on this occasion. I particularly noted that you enjoyed it last time.

Have you tried any of the other coursera offerings? In theory, since I gave up full time work last year I should have more time, but in fact the opposite seems to be the case. So much so that from time to time I wonder if I should look for work again.
                    Still, my plan to get to grips with Einstein's general theory are gradually kicking in. I've been refreshing my knowledge and understanding of special relativity, and have been surprised at some of the neat proofs, but the general theory is somewhat harder, and I figure that most of us have about as much belief in and understanding of it as a belief in the existence of Antarctica. We know it's there because people say so, and sometimes we see it on TV. For relativity it's the acceptance of other people's belief in it, plus the assertion that sat navs wouldn't work properly without it which gives it plausibility. I prefer, if possible, to work through the reasoning myself.
                    Well, Dave, I don't think that we will have to worry about the risk of you developing Dementia in Retirement for lack of exercising your brain. I applaud you.
                    I haven't personally tried any other Coursera Courses, but my wife and her Sister each just took (separate) courses in work related material and they both thought that they were very well done. The 3 of us were just perusing the catalog two days ago looking for other courses, but at present nothing grabbed me enough to want to commit, but if something looks interesting to you, let me know.

Comment

• cassandra

My first post and already asking for advice...

I've registered for this course but can't work out the format of the course from information given.
                      States 5 weeks, 1-3 hours of work per week, "each lecture will focus on one sonata", but the course syllabus doesn't quite tie up with that latter statement. How many lectures per week? What work is one expected to do? Can one pick up the lectures at any time?

Any claification from anyone who has done the course will be much appreciated. It starts tomorrow - but when?!

Thank you all very much.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

cassandra

I wondered what was going to happen, particularly as I thought I'd registered, but couldn't find it. It looks as though something will happen tomorrow - it's not shown as current at the present time. I expect we'll get an email, or if we check around lunch time something will show.

I think we're also supposed to invest a very small amount in Jonathan's Kindle book - not a deal breaker, though I need to charge up my Kindle.

I think you can pick up the lectures at any time, though there are presumably deadlines for returning assigned work. I'm guessing a little flexibility, perhaps one or two weeks.

Comment

• cassandra

Thanks Dave. When I finally managed to register (had to do it on Google Chrome as it wouldn't work on IE) I received 2 "welcome" emails, one to the website and one to the course. If you haven't had those, seems likely you haven't registered. You could try another search engine.
                          Good luck tomorrow and I hope we both manage to engage with Beethoven!

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cassandra View Post
                            Thanks Dave. When I finally managed to register (had to do it on Google Chrome as it wouldn't work on IE) I received 2 "welcome" emails, one to the website and one to the course. If you haven't had those, seems likely you haven't registered. You could try another search engine.
                            Good luck tomorrow and I hope we both manage to engage with Beethoven!
                            Hi Cassandra

Have you started this course yet? I've been away for a few days, but I'm now planning to get to grips with the first set of lectures (2 per day - that'll take me to Saturday), then look at some more material and hopefully try the assignment due by 26th March.

I found a few resources - though I suppose I'm not supposed to help too much according to the rules. A few hints can perhaps be found from Wikipedia entries of the Beethoven sonatas, and there are several online discussions/videos by pianists, including at least one by Andras Schiff - http://audio.theguardian.tv/sys-audi...inorop2no1.mp3 and another useful page by Per Tengstrand - http://worldofbeethoven.com/

Comment

• cassandra

Hi Dave

Yes I've listened to the 2 lectures (and downloaded the text - quite useful to read through afterwards) and am trying to decide which other sonata to compare to op.7, if I do the assignment... feeling a bit challenged at the moment

Various links posted on the forum have been useful. I liked this one
                              http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wUsO-8cx8

Hope you're enjoying it?

Comment

Working...
                              X