X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Men make Better Conductors

Not my opinion I hasten to add but those of Vassily Petrenko. Not surprisingly, it seems to have upset two of his current employers.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    Not my opinion I hasten to add but those of Vassily Petrenko. Not surprisingly, it seems to have upset two of his current employers.
    Let's plug them in to find out.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Is this one more indication of Russian sexual attitudes, or is it just one Russian's view?

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I wish Icould bring Dame Ethel Smyth back to discuss it with him. She was a match for any man, even Beecham.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

The Telegraph article doesn't include a comment from anyone at the RLPO, but the Guardian version I find:

...Michael Eakin, the chief executive of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, said: "To be honest the comments don't reflect the way he works with us and what we know of him … Vasily is always very clear: that it's all about musical talent and quality, and that's the defining factor with any musician."...

It's a real can of worms, though. The first comment on the Telegraph article says, of Petrenko's attempts to repair the damage by recording his admiration for two high-profile women conductors:

At the risk of asking a very un-PC question: the two examples he mentioned are interesting in that Alsop is a lesbian, and in Dudarova's case (in a different era) there are no reports of her every marrying or being romantically involved with men. Mere coincidence perhaps?

And if not coincidence, what?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Of course, Nigel Kennedy thinks that the gender question is irrelevant because all conductors 'just wave their arms out of time' - see this cringeworthy interview. I'm rather hoping that Marin Alsop demonstrates the power of the conductor on Saturday by sabotaging Nige's solos. http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...tors-overrated

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

It seems that, in his subsequent attempt at damage limitation, he's dug himself in even deeper, unless the situation in Russia is such that, for some as yet unexplained reason, Russian women musicians are somehow exceptional in allegedly being less capable at conducting as their male counterparts - and why on earth would that be? Petrenko is a very gifted conductor, so his remarks, however careless and unguarded, do sound especially deplorable, although I'd like to hear a recording of exactly what he said in response to what before being certain of that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  The Telegraph article doesn't include a comment from anyone at the RLPO, but the Guardian version I find:

...Michael Eakin, the chief executive of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, said: "To be honest the comments don't reflect the way he works with us and what we know of him … Vasily is always very clear: that it's all about musical talent and quality, and that's the defining factor with any musician."...

It's a real can of worms, though. The first comment on the Telegraph article says, of Petrenko's attempts to repair the damage by recording his admiration for two high-profile women conductors:

At the risk of asking a very un-PC question: the two examples he mentioned are interesting in that Alsop is a lesbian, and in Dudarova's case (in a different era) there are no reports of her every marrying or being romantically involved with men. Mere coincidence perhaps?

And if not coincidence, what?
                  Well that may be an answer to Pab's question above - that is, unless Petrenko does not think Alsop or Dudarova were "really" women!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                    Of course, Nigel Kennedy thinks that the gender question is irrelevant because all conductors 'just wave their arms out of time'
                    I suspect that's Nigel just being typically tongue-in-cheek, don't you? Not that he doesn't have a point though...

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

More discussion here - including objection from Russian women themselves!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

I think it's probably the result of his upbringing, which he should grow out of eventually. He has always struck me as being a bit too macho, excellent conductor although he is. It may have been said light-heartedly - and after all, quite a lot of people secretly agree with him, even if they daren't say so.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                          I think it's probably the result of his upbringing, which he should grow out of eventually.
                          "Should" - or "might (not)"? He is already 56...

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I think Mary was talking about Petrenko, who is only in his 30s.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

ahinton: I think Mary must be referring to Petrenko, rather than our Nige.

Comment

Working...
                              X