X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Re #14 HS I didn't remember Cantelli beingon that flight. How sad that day was.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Re #14 HS I didn't remember Cantelli beingon that flight. How sad that day was.
      You're correct in both respects saly
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Franz Schubert and the tenor Fritz Wunderrlich
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Eda Kersey and Anja Thauer.

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Originally Posted by salymap
            Re #14 HS I didn't remember Cantelli being on that flight. How sad that day was.
            Gosh, you're right! GC died in 1956. I've been telling people porkies all these years.

Thanks Sali and Cali.

HS

Ginette Neveu gave her last concert on 20 October 1949. On 28 October, she was on board an Air France flight from Paris en route to another series of concert engagements when it flew into a mountain after two failed attempts to make a landing at the São Miguel Island airport in the Azores. All 48 people on board the flight died, including Ginette and Jean-Paul Neveu and the French boxing champion Marcel Cerdan. It has been said that Ginette Neveu's body was found still clutching her Stradivarius in her arms.[4] During the return of the bodies to France, Neveu's coffin was confused with that of another victim, Amélie Ringler. The funeral for Ringler had taken place before the error was discovered. On 28 November, Neveu's brother-in-law identified her remains in the coffin disinterred from the graveyard in Bantzenheim.[5]

Édith Piaf, Marcel Cerdan's lover at the time, wrote of Neveu in her autobiography, The Wheel of Fortune: "I would have traveled thousands of miles to hear the great Ginette Neveu

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

Juan Arriaga (1806-1826) who, according to those who know about these things, showed enormous promise with his early string quartets, published at age seventeen. I would never have heard of him save for the fact I found an old mono Nixa LP of the quartets, in a secondhand shop. Very enjoyable they are too.

Comment

• verismissimo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I suppose of the the performers lost to the world too early, the one whose work I have appreciated most is Dino Ciani (killed in a road accident in Rome, aged 32). His Debussy and Schumann recordings in particular are second to none.
                Yes. And this is a wonderful 3 CD set by Ciani: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genius-Dino-...iani+brilliant

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  Yes. And this is a wonderful 3 CD set by Ciani: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genius-Dino-...iani+brilliant
                  Oft played in these parts
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lordgeous
                    • Dec 2012

The brilliant David Munrow, sadly by his own hand. 1942 - 1976

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                      Juan Arriaga (1806-1826) who, according to those who know about these things, showed enormous promise with his early string quartets, published at age seventeen. I would never have heard of him save for the fact I found an old mono Nixa LP of the quartets, in a secondhand shop. Very enjoyable they are too.
                      Yes, indeed - very accomplished for one so young, and they compare well with the equivalent youthful quartet works of Mozart and Schubert imo. They are conservative in style, harking back to the classical period, but perhaps that isn't surprising for one making his first essays in the genre (and perhaps Arriaga had not come across the middle or later quartets of Beethoven). 1826 was a bad year for composers cut off too young - Weber also died that year not having reached 40.

Returning to performers rather than composers, I thought István Kertész's death in a swimming accident in 1973 was a sad loss as he had much still to give.

Edit: the Guarneri Quartet's recording of the 3 Arriaga quartets is very good, originally on Philips and I think re-issued by Newton Classics.
                      Last edited by aeolium; 02-09-13, 16:18. Reason: recording info

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                        The brilliant David Munrow, sadly by his own hand. 1942 - 1976
                        Yes, I had a friend who knew David Munrow and friend was deeply shocked. Apparently he was depressed by family deaths rather close together.

I remember his broadcasts with pleasure. RIP DM

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Dino Ciani 1941 - 1974 A fine pianist with a wide repertoire. Unfortunately he was killed in a motor bike accident.

His DG recording of the Debussy Preludes is quite wonderful, I have the original LPS, I'm not sure if there is a CD issue

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

So many.

Janis Joplin.
                            Jimi Hendrix.
                            Bob Marley.
                            Otis Redding.
                            George Gershwin.
                            Frederic Chopin.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton