X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slarty
    • Sep 2024

Performers who died too young

As Dennis Brain's anniversary has just passed, I thought this would make an interesting thread.
    Obvious entries like Du Pré and William Kapell will do fine, but I start with the following (thanks to Wikipedia) - It is a shocker!

Karlrobert Kreiten (26 June 1916, Bonn, Rhine Province - 7 September 1943) was a German pianist, though holding Dutch citizenship his entire life due to his Dutch father.
    He was seen by Wilhelm Furtwängler and others as one of the most talented young pianists in Germany. Born in Bonn, his German mother was the classical singer Emmy Kreiten, née Liebergesell, who sang under the stage name Emmy Kreiten-Barido. His Dutch father Theo Kreiten, was a composer, concert pianist, and writer. The Kreiten family originated in the area of the Lower Rhineland, along the current Dutch-German border.
    He made his debut at the age of eleven with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Piano Concerto in A major in a live broadcast. He was educated in Berlin by Claudio Arrau.
    Kreiten was reported to the Gestapo by Nazi neighbor Ellen Ott-Monecke about making negative remarks about Adolf Hitler and the war effort. He was indicted at the Volksgerichtshof, with Roland Freisler presiding, and condemned to death. Friends and family frantically tried to save his life, but to no avail. The family only accidentally learned that Karlrobert had been executed by hanging, with 185 other inmates, at Plötzensee prison.
    His execution triggered a wave of articles in the German press about this "treacherous" artist. Prominent journalist Werner Höfer had to retire in 1987 when his articles about Kreiten became known to a wider public.
    Today in Berlin, a memorial of the life and death of Kreiten exists along the "Topography of Terror" outdoor exhibit, which deals with the terror inflicted by the German SS and the Gestapo. The very prison cells that held him and others arrested by the Gestapo have been unearthed and remain laid bare for all to see. Streets in Düsseldorf, Bonn, and Cologne have been named in his honor. His only sister, Rosemarie von Studnitz, became a book publisher in the United States and died in 1975. In September 2003 the Dutch composer Rudi Martinus van Dijk had his work Kreitens Passion for baritone, full choir and symphony orchestra premiered in Düsseldorf by the Düsseldorf Sinfoniker in memoriam of Karlrobert Kreiten.
    External links
  • Richard Tarleton

Hard to follow that, but my candidate would be Ida Presti, who died in 1967 aged just 43 - part of a great, probably the greatest ever, classical guitar duo with her husband Alexander Lagoya. Had she not devoted herself to duo playing she would have given the post-Segovia generation a run for their money. There are a few scratchy videos on You Tube. I have just two recordings, a Nonesuch LP and a CD. Whereas Bream and Williams in duo mode were two strongly individual musicians, Presti and Lagoya blended into a remarkable whole, living and breathing the music as a single being. She had lung cancer, and died of a haemorrage following an air flight.

Oh, and Dinu Lipatti of course......

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Julius Katchen (43) and Jacqueline du Pre (42) spring to mind.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by slarty View Post
        Karlrobert Kreiten (26 June 1916, Bonn, Rhine Province - 7 September 1943)

Horrific, and I confess I'd never heard of him. I have however seen those excavated cells as part of the museum area http://www.topographie.de/en/the-historic-site/ in Berlin. Utterly chilling.

As regards the subject of this thread, there was a digression on this topic on another thread a while ago, starting here: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...555#post305555

I suppose of the the performers lost to the world too early, the one whose work I have appreciated most is Dino Ciani (killed in a road accident in Rome, aged 32). His Debussy and Schumann recordings in particular are second to none.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Noel Mewton-Wood - 1922-53

Billy Holiday - 1915 - 59

Judy Garland - 1922 - 69

Kathleen Ferrier - 1912 - 53

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

The first post is a really tragic story. However, we have had a thread on this fairly recently.

A loss to me and many, Ginette Neveu and her brother, killed in a plane crash. I remember how the BBC repeated parts of her Brahms Vln Concerto in every news bulletin for some days,or so it seemed.

EDIT. Ihad to look up the dates, I know I had recently seen her play. It was back in 1949 and she was only 30 years old. Her brother Jean[?] was also killed.
            Last edited by salymap; 02-09-13, 14:30.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              However, we have had a thread on this fairly recently.
              I think I linked just now to what you are remembering, saly - I don't think it was a dedicated thread. However do correct me if I'm wrong about that!

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                I think I linked just now to what you are remembering, saly - I don't think it was a dedicated thread. However do correct me if I'm wrong about that!
                No,I'm sure you're right Cali.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Peter Anders (tenor) 46 - car crash

Carl Tausig (Liszt pupil) 29 - typhoid

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Composers Bill Hopkins (1943-1981), Guillaume Lekeu, (1870-1894), Lili Boulanger (1893-1918), Philip Heseltine (1894-1930), George Butterworth (1885-1916) and pianist Dinu Lipatti (1917-1950), none of whom reached the age of 40, spring immediately to mind. Then there's Chopin, Schubert and Mozart, of course...

Comment

• Zucchini
                      • Nov 2010

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson. Unquestionably one of the greatest artists of our time.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Gérard Grisey (1946-1998)

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Comment

• Hornspieler
                            Late Member
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            The first post is a really tragic story. However, we have had a thread on this fairly recently.

A loss to me and many, Ginette Neveu, killed in a plane crash. I remember how the BBC repeated parts of her Brahms Vln Concerto in every news bulletin for some days,or so it seemed.

EDIT. I had to look up the dates, I know I had recently seen her play. It was back in 1949 and she was only 30 years old. Her brother Jean[?] was also killed.
                            ... and of course, Guido Cantelli, that brilliant young conductor who perished in the same plane crash.

HS

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                              ... and of course, Guido Cantelli, that brilliant young conductor who perished in the same plane crash.

HS
                              Hi HS - I think we covered this last time round - Cantelli died in 1956, Neveu in 1949....

Comment

Working...
                              X